Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 5F1 buzz

hello,

I built my first amp (YEE HAW!). It's a 5F1 using transformers from an old Silvertone organ amp (it was basically a champ circuit to begin with) I used a repro champ chassis and built an eyelet board with all new caps, resistors, tube sockets etc. using the classic fender 5F1 layout.

The thing rocks in every way except for a bit of buzz that I've been trying to track down. I learned from tooling around on this forum that it most likely 120 buzz (it's more of a bee type buzz than hum) the buzz gets louder as I turn the volume up BUT disappears with the volume maxed. Also the buzz is still present when I roll the guitar's volume all the way down.

I used good components and was careful and neat with my wiring. I have the power caps grounded with the ac grounds at the transformer bolt and the preamp cap with the rest of the input stuff at the jack.

I fiddled with my heater wires (twisted pairs) first running them in the air over the board dropping down to the tubes. Then hugging the chassis. Still buzzes.

Does the fact that the buzz ceases with the volume maxed point to anywhere in the circuit I should focus on? I'm really new to this.

Any info much appreciated.

Chris

Have you got photos of your build?

If there is no noise with the vol maxed out, that is effectively bypassing the pot. All other settings use some of the pot. Therefore I wonder if its a bad vol pot (or suspect grounding of the pot - bad solder joints maybe? Is the pot grounded with the rest of the pre-amp?).
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks so much for the speedy reply. The pot is grounded to an input jack where the other non-power related stuff is grounded. I'll check my connections on the pot.

I'll try and take some pics of my layout.

thanks again for the help

Chris

Comment

Thanks Tubeswell!!!

I shortened the wire coming off the pot that goes to pin 7 on the 12ax7 and rerouted it a bit and that did it.

Thanks again!

Chris

Comment

Working...
        X