Help !! My Amps not well.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help !! My Amps not well.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so I hope I've posted this in the right section, I've scanned through loads of posts but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I have a 5e3 clone built by a UK builder, I'm not sure who the kit manufacturer is but it has a Bruce Collins Vol mod fitted if that's any help.

It's been a great little combo that I've been using with a small laid back jazz band, all pretty low volume stuff, brush kit, clarinet + piano, it's been flawless in operation so far but last night I took it out to a local blues jam and I think I've really hurt it.

I had it cranked up to 10 with a Fulltone Fat boost driving it a little , all was going well for 10 minutes , the amp sounded amazing and then I decided to hook up my old wah, I left the amp switched on and simply unplugged my lead from the guitar to the boost pedal and put in a small patch lead and that's when I noticed an odd low frequency hum that seemed to be pulsing, I plugged in the wah and then the noise just faded away to silence, the amp didn't blow any fuses, the pilot light's still on, the valves all appear to be recieving power but there's nothing coming out of the speaker, I've tested the speaker + it's fine, I've swapped all the power valves and preamp valves and still nothing, the only valve I have no spare for is the 5Y3GT, it's an old NOS 'Brazilian' RCA model, could it be the rectifier that's blown or have I caused something more serious to happen,

The current valves are: 1 x 5y3GT (RCA/Brazil) 2 x 6v6 (Tungsol) 1 x12ax7 (TAD) 1x 12ay7 (TAD) + 1 x 12 Jensen C12Q Speaker + Mercury Magnets OT.

Any Help or advice would be much appreciated.

Paul.

Mo-tone
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Mo-tone
    Send email to Mo-tone
    Find More Posts by Mo-tone
    Add Mo-tone to Your Contacts

Edit Tags Tags

The 5Y3 would be suspect, although it could also be the power supply electrolytics.

To test them, you measure their resistance, as well as the power supply voltages.

Of course, these are all very high voltages, which can be deadly (or really really painful).
    It may be time to take it to a good tech.
    See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

Hi, thanks for the tips, it turned out to be just a loose input connection...phew!!

Comment

Working...
      X