5G9 with a fresh speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5G9 with a fresh speaker

Well today I found a piece of history in a local music shop for NZ$30! The mechandiser had it sitting in his shop for 10 years waiting for not sure what, then he saw me walk in with my amp and fished it out from a pile of boxes and now its a permanent fixture! Not quite sure what sort of brand it is (old Jensen maybe?). Has a solid looking magnet cover and real shimmering highs. I guess its about 20W so its perfect for my 5G9 clone.

(no doubt I'll get cained for the quality of the recording again - the in-built mic on the eMac picking up the rattling CD flap. I added a bit of 'verb to the track afterwards - I'm going to have to build me one of those fender reverb clones.)
    Attached Files
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

dude, very nice. You like a very bright tone like I do. Nice playing too. That an original song or someone else's?

You're just making me want to get the 5G9 build started now. Gotta get the cash together.

I know on the other recording you put out here (the CCR song) I mentioned that there was some weird ringing sound in it. Didn't hear it this time.
    In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Hi Cminor9

Yeah the song's 'original' (if you can call any song original) the chords are variations on I, VI, IIm, V, with a Vm, I7, IV, IVm, turnaround leading into the tail, and then I noodle on top of it.

That noise on that other recording was a rattling chassis, which I managed to eliminate, thanks to your feedback.

I also had my strat frets 're-crowned' last week by a local guitar workshop. Its an '89 and they had become quite a bit worn and rutted in places over the years (I hadn't realised that it was 19 years old! - my how time flies!) and the action was a bit skanky in places, but now they're much better. They were jumbo frets so they had quite a bit of metal in them to allow for it.
      Last edited by tubeswell; 07-20-2008, 12:11 AM.

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Well I tried it a practice tonight with the 'new' speaker and with a bit of hard lickin' it really is a screamin' blues machine, or down low its a nice chimey crystally sweet fendery thang. I must say I am pleased at last. I'll do a proper recording this W/E and post it. :-)

Comment

Working...
        X