5E3 Build Just Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 Build Just Died

I have a Mission 5E3 kit that was working great last night (and I was playing it pretty hard). Today, I fired it up, played a few notes and after a few seconds -- nothing. The power tubes are still glowing, and I checked the heaters and the voltage is correct. But there is no B+ to be found anywhere, maybe 1 V. I'm figuring the rectifier just blew, correct?

Im no expert but it sounds likely. Check for AC before the rectifier. If it?s there then you?ve found your problem

Comment

AC is fine. 343 V on each of the Hi-V leads, 6.7 V across the filaments. Pilot lamp works fine. Any ideas on what would cause a rectifier to blow before the fuse?

Comment

Okay, I figured it out. I had the power cord tied to pin 1, which I thought was unused (lug 3 on the socket had broken off). I guess it's not. I moved the power cord to pin 7 and everything works fine now.

Comment

I think that pins 1,3,5, and 7 aren't used on that socket...

Comment

Originally posted by GBStratman View Post
            Okay, I figured it out. I had the power cord tied to pin 1, which I thought was unused (lug 3 on the socket had broken off). I guess it's not. I moved the power cord to pin 7 and everything works fine now.
            There is no reason why using lug 1 would not work as well as 3, 5 or 7.
            As mentioned above, there is no element of the 5Y3GT connected to lugs or pins 1, 3 5 and 7 so any would work fine as a terminal tie point.

Here the bad news, if there was always filament heat, you didn't fix anything by moving the power cord wire from 1 to 7.
            I suspect it is merely a bad solder joint somewhere (mostly lug 8 or 2 of the rectifier socket) and moving the chassis and wires around has temporarily fixed it.
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
              I suspect it is merely a bad solder joint somewhere (mostly lug 8 or 2 of the rectifier socket) and moving the chassis and wires around has temporarily fixed it.
              Thanks, Bruce. I think you're right, because it's still doing it, although it only happens when I turn the amp on. If I wiggle the rectifier tube a little in its socket, it comes on and then stays on. I'm not sure if it's a bad solder joint or bad contact between the socket and the tube pins. I'll try reflowing the solder, and if that doesn't work, replace the socket.

Comment

Working...
              X