Quick question for the experts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question for the experts...

First post here, I'm about to embark upon my first build, a Ceriatone 5f1, loving the info I'm getting here.

Got a quick question about grounding. In the following layout which I'm using, there are 3 points labelled "star ground" but Im not really sure where to actually ground them.

I think its supposed to be where Ive placed the little green star ie: put a little bolt and a ground lug there and ground the three wires to this point.

Is this correct???

If someone could confirm yay or nay Id appreciate it alot.

Thanks guys,

Cat

Noone?

Cat

Comment

I'd run a wire from EACH of those points over to the same lug where the center tap for the high voltage is grounded. DON'T run a wire from the vol pot to the 10uf to the 16uf then to chassis.

If you want to drill a hole and put a screw where your star is for your master ground, then move that center tap wire from the transformer corner bolt to the star as well.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'd run the ground wire from the 16uF and left-hand 10uF caps back to the "0" lug in between the two 320's on the transformer. That takes care of keeping the ripple current out of the ground system: the single most important thing in amp grounding.

The two remaining wires, I'd take to the existing tags under the transformer bolt.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

So you reckon like this...?

Thanks for helping out guys, very much appreciate it.

Cat

Comment

Looks good Cat! Welcome to the forums over here as well!

Comment

Originally posted by echuta13 View Post
              Looks good Cat! Welcome to the forums over here as well!
              Hehe thanks echuta13 and thanks guys for your help. Ill start a thread eventually when I get building with lots of nice big pics

Cat

Comment

I once saw in a thread that the line cord ground should be separate from all other grounds. Is this true? And I'm stuck finishing the wiring for my 5F6A because I'm confused about split grounding. So far, I have the ac line ground on it's own bolt of the PT. The cathode grounds from the power stage as well as the capacitor commons from the plate supply all go to a separate bolt, too. This leaves me as to where to ground the hv center tap and filament center tap, as well as the common ground from the eyelet board and the filter caps on the other side of the choke. BTW, I split the cap grounds because someone mentioned that the caps on the plate supply side of the choke should have their own ground.

What I envision is that all four bolts of the tranny are going to have ground lugs on them. This seems odd. Hence my lack of motivation to move ahead. Too much confusion lurking about.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                X