Best all-time tubes in 5f6a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best all-time tubes in 5f6a

If cost is no concern, what are the best all-time tubes in 5f6a? Exact manufacturer, supplier, etc. very appreciated.

Of course there's NOS Tung Sol or Sylvania 5881 power tubes. Classic clean and they grind better than modern 6l6 types which IME sound fine clean but just roll over and play dead when you drive them. I'm not familiar with the current production 5881 tubes, but if past experience serves me, they're probably just remarked 6l6 tubes. Other than the NOS 5881's I like el34 tubes better than the current 6l6 tubes for that tone. There are alot of el34 types on the market. Most are good. I have used alot of brands but never compared. The Svets have a good rep but I haven't tried them. For preamp tubes my favorite is the RCA 12ax7. Grey or black plate, doesn't matter. They can still be found in "tests new" condition for about $25. ea. US. I haven't had much trouble with microphonics even with used RCA tubes and they have THAT tone.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks, Chuck. If I can find ones I want, I think I'm going NOS Tung-Sol 5881, but have heard very good things about the new ones as well.

Comment

I agree with NOS TungSol 5881's. But do not discount the RI 5881's. They are not just rebottled 6L6's. The design was well-plagarized. They are pretty damn good-sounding, a tad darker than the originals, but they are way more affordable. Probably will not have the life of the original either.
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Thanks, John. That corrisponds with my research. What say you about preamp valves?

Comment

Working...
          X