Ampeg tripping GFCI outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg tripping GFCI outlet

Got this old Ampeg Super 800 amp from 1949 that customer says trips the GFCI outlet.
    Checked it out and yes it does.

Amp works okay, has three prong cord, grounded to chassis with the hot going to the fuse, then switch to power trans and neutral going straight to trans.

Sorry, couldn't find schematics
    The power switch, pots and jacks are on a separate plate with main chassis below.
    Upper plate grounded, no hum from this thing at all.

Do I need to install a double pole power switch?

Do guitar amps trip a GFCI?
    Never tried it before, had to drag this thing into the bathroom!

Thanks

Does it have a death cap? If so, clip it out and retry.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

No death cap
      I found a post from some sight about the current leakage from a power transformer can be a few milliamps above the GFI trip point of about 4ma.
      I'm gonna have to do some research

Comment

If there are any RFI caps across the AC line, they can also cause GFCI tripping. I had a similar problem in this thread.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...2000-trips-gfi

Edit: Since it's a 1949 amp, I doubt there are RFI caps, but worth a look.
        Last edited by The Dude; 06-06-2024, 12:08 AM.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

You'll really need a Megger (insulation resistance tester) to properly check this. If there are no death-caps/class-Y caps (won't be class-Y safety rated line-to-ground caps in an amp this vintage unless they've been fitted in the last couple of decades by someone else) to provide an AC path from line-to-ground, then it's quite probably insulation breakdown. The transformer primary should be floating with respect to the rest of the circuitry - ie several Megaohm DC resistance to chassis. You might not be able to measure any DC path with the low test voltages of a multimeter, that's where the Megger comes in. It applies a high test voltage (typically 100/250/500/1kV test options) to check for any insulation breakdown. Anything in the primary circuit could be responsible - the switch, the fuseholder, any line-power neon indicator, or worst case, the transformer primary windings to its core.
          If you don't have a Megger, then start with a multimeter, you might get lucky and find the responsible part.

Comment

There should be absolutely no leakage between the primary and the secondary windings of any mains transformer!
            If there is leakage, it has failed and needs replacing.
            I would check the neutral to earth connection firstly. You should get infinity on an old style x100 Ohmeter. (AVO 8, Simpson etc). DVMs cannot read this correctly due to such a low voltage.
            Disconnect the primary live and neutral, then carefully, test again.
            Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
            If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

I think we have a Rotron megger around here, I used to repair them in the 80's.

Might have a hipot at work
              They used to trip on really humid days when testing motor wire insulation

Comment

I would think that if there's enough errant current on a grounded chassis to trip a gfci then the amp would be blowing mains fuses as well. But maybe not? If the transformer checks out then I would re examine the grounded AC conversion. Especially the actual ground contact. And I would check for voltage on the chassis testing from the chassis to a remote ground. If there's anything wrong with the AC ground connection even a slightly leaky power supply cap might trip a gfci.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Think I got it
                  Death cap from fuse holder to ground hidden under some stuff, one of those old black ones with the colored bands, .22uf.
                  Removed it and it seems okay
                  My bulb limiter at work has a GFCI, brought it home so I didn't have to drag the amp back and forth to the bathroom

Comment

And this is why we call it a Death Cap & why we get rid of them...

Jusrin
                    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Yup
                      The Dude wins the Diagnosis Discovery Sweepstakes!
                      Johnny tell him what prizes he's won!

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                        Yup
                        The Dude wins the Diagnosis Discovery Sweepstakes!
                        Johnny tell him what prizes he's won!
                        You forgot the:

BING! BING! ​​​​​​​BING! ​​​​​​​BING! ​​​​​​​BING! ​​​​​​​BING!

In a perfect world Alex Trebek would announce it
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

A new CAR!

Jusrin
                          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Without the chassis grounded with the AC cable, what you had there was a widowmaker. Somebody was bound to get a whopper of a shock what with the old 2 wire cable and a 75 year old leaky/shorted death cap.

Good call Dude! Best prize is saving lives and injuries. And annoyances. Thank you.
                            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                            X