Vintage Solid State - Strange Wave Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Solid State - Strange Wave Form

I have a vintage amp on my bench and will no signal I get the first image...however my DVM detects 0Vrms and 0Vdc at the output. This amp has no audible hum/hiss or anything that would suggest this type of signal on the output.

When I run a 1kHz signal through the amp, I can see it riding on this strange waveform.

The amp sounds 100% normal and seems to make great power...can't get a power read with this behavior. My scope works just fine with tube amps, and I don't have another SS amp to test against.

Transistors 2sd388a/2sb541a

Any insight is appreciated!
    Attached Files

Possibly your probe is not a x10 probe ... that will cause it to go unstable due to capacitive loading.
    Check the Zobel network is intact.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Its a 10X, however I checked on a different probe and its solid. Thanks for the knowledge!!

Comment

What amp (schematic)?
        Where did you scope?
        Was the ground clip connected to amp ground?
        Looks like a higher frequency oscillation on top of a 60Hz hum, but not connecting the probe's ground clip may add a lot of 60Hz ground hum to the displayed signal and the "oscillation" might be your actual 1kHz signal.

Your display settings don't make much sense.
        The Siglent is a great scope, but you really need to study the manual to learn how to best customize and operate it.
        Don't rely on autoset mode!
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-12-2024, 08:27 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
        X