Fender Deluxe 5B3 Cap & Speaker Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Deluxe 5B3 Cap & Speaker Replacement

What are your opinions on replacing 60+ year old caps (filter, bias, coupling) on an amp that is working and sounding fine?

I'm thinking at minimum replace the filter caps for reliability and perhaps improved sound. But there is something to be said for leaving vintage amps with original parts.

Also, speaker is dead. Anyone know what the speaker impedance should be? Not seeing it on the schematic.

Thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240618_091520.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	4.68 MB
ID:	1000525 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240618_091713.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	1000526

I would say that if the electrolytics are not leaking and you are happy with the sound, just replace the paper caps that suffer with moisture ingress. I have marked Z to check as it is a dual cap inside a cardboard sleeve.
    See photo; Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 17.00.42.png Views:	0 Size:	5.89 MB ID:	1000530

Speaker is 8 OHM
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

I also see a crack/break in the speaker wire. Did you test the speaker at the speaker terminals or the plug? It could just be a bad cable or connector. Also, I would at least do a quick in circuit ESR test of the caps.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Most, if not all of the old Fender amps were 8 ohm output.
        Deluxe Models (robrobinette.com)

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          I also see a crack/break in the speaker wire. Did you test the speaker at the speaker terminals or the plug? It could just be a bad cable or connector. Also, I would at least do a quick in circuit ESR test of the caps.
          Thanks I saw that. Cable tests good and I also tested the speaker at its terminals.

The buyer of the amp is sending it back to the seller due to the speaker issue.
          Last edited by misterc57; 06-19-2024, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X