Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LarBal View Post

Mouser's got the J305 for $3, just ordered a couple
    I think you will have to reverse gate and drain pins, but otherwise should be a good sub.

Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      I think you will have to reverse gate and drain pins, but otherwise should be a good sub.
      Pin Info:

Click image for larger version

Name:	TO-92_pins.gif
Views:	55
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1000833

JFET protection:

Name:	JFET_protect.gif
Views:	42
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1000834
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

You may be better off with 2n5457 if they are still available. Or 2n5484. This is experience talking from building EP3 echoplex preamps that originally had TIS58. The printing on those ones doesn't even seem correct. Click image for larger version

Name:	g4.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1000838

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post

Pin Info:

Name:	TO-92_pins.gif
Views:	55
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1000833

I don't disagree about S and D being interchangeable for a jfet, but the datasheets call them out as SGD for the TIS58, and SDG for the J305 (Interfet brand). And to further confuse things, other brands of J305 have different pinouts. Fairchild is GSD.

Attached Files
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            I don't disagree about S and D being interchangeable for a jfet, but the datasheets call them out as SGD for the TIS58, and SDG for the J305 (Interfet brand). And to further confuse things, other brands of J305 have different pinouts. Fairchild is GSD.
            Oh wow thanks Loudthud, that was very helpful for you to make that substiution diagram. I just got my J305 and was sitting down to work all this out.

These are Interfet, and are SGD. So I'll put the G of the J305 where the middle pin of the TIS58 goes on the board, then D/S in the other two and report back. Thank you for the headsup g1

Comment

If you are having trouble getting things to work, check the link I posted in post #3 for how to check JFETs with an Ohm meter.
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.

Comment

Well , I decided just to do one side, and check, and the JFET sub works, but it didn't solve my problem, still a lot of hiss, and I could be totally wrong, but that channel now seems a little quieter than the fx channel.
                It actually seems like there's more noise now

Comment

What type resistors were used on the input circuit. Carbon composition ? There is a 22Meg a 1.5Meg and two 47K ? One thing to try is to touch a capacitor across the 1.5Meg resistor. That will tell us if one or more of the resistors on the input is creating the noise. Be sure the cap is discharged before touching it across a live circuit.

Comment

Freeze spray.

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                      What type resistors were used on the input circuit. Carbon composition ? There is a 22Meg a 1.5Meg and two 47K ? One thing to try is to touch a capacitor across the 1.5Meg resistor. That will tell us if one or more of the resistors on the input is creating the noise. Be sure the cap is discharged before touching it across a live circuit.
                      Yep the 22M and 1M5 are CC, the 47Ks look like film. I'm assuming an electrolytic cap across the 1M5 ?

Comment

Originally posted by LarBal View Post

Yep the 22M and 1M5 are CC, the 47Ks look like film. I'm assuming an electrolytic cap across the 1M5 ?
                        No, a film cap perhaps 0.022uF to 0.1uF or so. It's just an experiment to see if it kills the hiss.

Comment

Working...
                        X