Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64ES335,
    Welcome to the Forum!

I wouldn't hurt to try another GZ-34 rectifier.

I do my amp setups with a 120V line setting and I have the following set of data taken on a 1968 Super Reverb that has a stock part number 125P50 Fender PT. (However the EIA code was 606443 so the transformer was make in the 43rd week of 1964. It's interesting, but not all that unusual, that and older transformers got installed in the 1968 amp.
    The measurements were per the attached table. Note that these are records that I keep for my own reference so it may seem confusing at first to others. However, the quality of the data comes with a money back guarantee.
    Let me know if you have questions. Overall I don't think there is anything "wrong" with your SR transformer.
    Cheers,
    Tom
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Reverb Data for MEF Post of 240625.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1000844

Comment

The correct PT should be a 125P5D (used up to AB568).

If measurements were taken with a line voltage of 110V, all secondary voltages should increase by roughly 9% when connected to 120V.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Hi Again Guys,

Yessir...the amp is loaded with a 125P5D.

Swapped the rectifier again with no significant change. Brought the line up to 120V and it almost seems like the amp wants to live there.

B+ in standby is 495.9VDC. Drops just under 450VDC when switched out of standby with the tubes biased to 70% dissipation (40mA).

Think I'm going to follow Helmholtz and Tom's advice and accept as-is, unless there are any other clever suggestions to check.

Grateful to everyone that has helped!

​​

Comment

FWIW: Fender wouldn't have biased the amp that hot, but that's your choice.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Really awesome that whomever replaced that PT got it right. That said... With a 350-0-350 (for the same part number as what is supposed to be a 360-0-360 and later a 375-0-375) you could expect lower voltages. Also, AC mains voltages were changing at that time from 115Vac to 117Vvac (and thence to 120Vac). Haed to say what primary spec was done for that particular PT. As I mentioned, this PT was seemingly maliable over time and incidence.
            I've actually seen a couple of cases where these amps (Concert's, SR's, Bandmasters, Bassmans, etc.) have low-ish voltages with period correct PT's. Though it usually goes the other way with high voltages this isn't ALAWAYS the case. And as Helmholtz noted the loaded voltage drop you're seeing is not at all abnormal (in fact it's lower than typical as far as I can tell). I think The Dude had it right in post 2 and you're actually fine.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by 64ES335 View Post
              ... Drops just under 450VDC when switched out of standby with the tubes biased to 70% dissipation (40mA)...
              I agree with The Dude that 70% is actually pretty hot bias and I think it would be interesting to you to try bias in the range of 50% to 60% and determine how you like the sound. The 70% "guideline" is really is more internet lore than a design fact.

Comment

I don't think that the 'idle at 70%' guideline is applicable to valve types that have a design maximum rating unless, as is intended with the design maximum system, the mains supply voltage is tweaked up to its upper tolerance limit.

With the mains voltage at nominal, using the voltages noted on the AB763 Super Reverb schematic https://el34world.com/charts/Schemat..._schematic.pdf
                plugging those anode, screen grid and control grid voltages into a calculator / valve info corresponds to about 32mA anode current at 460V anode voltage = just under 15W idle anode dissipation.​
                Last edited by pdf64; 06-26-2024, 02:33 PM.
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

We should start calling 70% as 100% for class AB push pulls.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks everyone. Yes understood. The 70% dissipation was really just to see how far the B+ got loaded down when biased hotter. I’ll be dialing it back and adjusting by ear while monitoring the measurements. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by 64ES335 View Post
                      Thanks everyone. Yes understood. The 70% dissipation was really just to see how far the B+ got loaded down when biased hotter. I’ll be dialing it back and adjusting by ear while monitoring the measurements. Thanks again!
                      I'm interested to know your evaluation results when they are available.

Comment

Hey Tom, Sure thing. I’ll probably get back to it this weekend and will post the voltages etc. I end up with.

Comment

Working...
                        X