Peavey Stereo Chorus 212, no reverb or delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Stereo Chorus 212, no reverb or delay

Hello from California! I have a 1990’s Peavey Stereo Chorus 212, and everything works fine except the digital reverb. It used to work, but after a long hiatus from playing, it just quit on me one day. I’ve cleaned all the pots, and they all seem to work fine.

I’ve also checked U5 pin 1 and #14 on the cable as Jon Snell had previously advised another owner, and they seem fine. No audible noise/sound from the amp as one might expect turning the digital reverb and delay pots.

Original 4 button foot switch works, and reverb led lights up fine on it.

Local shop is $150/hr, with an 8 week wait before a tech can actually look at it. They advised I buy a new amp. This thing has been with me since I learned how to play, I can’t give up on it.

Below are some pics I took. I circled some spots that I feel may be an issue (corroded wires on the ceramic blocks?). Beyond this, I’m not at all good with electrical
    stuff but I’m willing to dive in.

If anyone has any advice on what else I can do, please help. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Plenty of copper left in those resistor wires for another 50 years. Keep it dry!

Check you have control signal on pin 5 of the 555 timer IC.
    Ensure pin 4 of the 555 has an output.
    Check pin 3 of the 3007 for signal.
    Has the emitter of Q11 got signal.

These ICs (3007 and 3101 are obsolete). Fleaby chips are fakes. Reclaimed chips are normally faulty.
    You will have fun fault finding even if you are a skilled electronics engineer, in fact I don't know of a Peavey shop that has ever done other than replace the board.
    Please correct me if I am wrong but most are fitters, not engineers.

You could use a Boss delay/chorus pedal in between the pre amp out and main in sockets.

Obviously your local shop doesn't want the job.

If I was to offer repairs with an 8 week lead time, I would not get any work. My customers moan if it is longer than a week for a finished repair, including buying spares in!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 07.28.46.png Views:	0 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	1000960 Points to check are marked X. At least you will know where the fault lies after checking.
    Attached Files
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Working...
    X