peavey ltd 400 shocking the player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavey ltd 400 shocking the player

Hi. Can anyone help with this problem? A guy asked me to fix his amp because it shocked him through the guitar strings. I was even able to get it to shock me and it was a little buzz about like a bee sting. The way I got it to shock me was by flipping the polarity switch to one position and then lifting the equipment ground. Then i was able to read 120v to mains ground. I measured the current from the chassis to ground with my amp clamp and it read zero and simply grounding the chassis was enough to clear the voltage, but it would still deliver a tiny shock.
    My question is, how is this possible and can i make it stop? I replaced the two .022uf caps on the primary of the transformer with y type caps and that did not help. any insight would be helpful.
    Attached Files

Did you measure safety ground resistance from chassis to mains plug?
    Sometimes the ground pin becomes loose and disconnected.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

What exactly do you mean by 'lift the equipment ground', do you mean the 3rd prong of the AC plug?
      If you had to do that and he did not, I expect he does not have proper 3 prong wiring in his house. Then a slight shock will be possible with amps that have a polarity switch with cap to chassis.
      Removing the cap circled in red should eliminate the problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ground cap.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1001006
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

yes, I lifted the equipment(safety) ground by using a 3 to 2 prong plug adapter. I can only assume that his house outlets are ungrounded. I will check the cord though, thats a good point. so, I should get rid of the type vl cap and keep the type evl cap? That makes sense. I really dont know what that vl cap does honestly.

Comment

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 07.37.10.png
Views:	51
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	1001020 For safety sake, take out the 0.022uF DEATH cap!
          All equipment with a three prong mains lead MUST be plugged into an earthed mains supply and the DEATH cap is of no use.

Pretty basic stuff really.
          Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
          If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 07.37.10.png
Views:	51
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	1001020 For safety sake, take out the 0.022uF DEATH cap!
            All equipment with a three prong mains lead MUST be plugged into an earthed mains supply and the DEATH cap is of no use.

Echoing the above advice.

I'd also probably premptively replace the "type EVL" with a modern class X rated cap, and consider replacing/rewiring the 3 way power switch for modern standard polarized wiring, with the fuses always on the live/active side.

Comment

ok. Thats what im going to do. Thank you guys very much.

Comment

Depends what you mean by 'death' cap as there is no official definition. Safety rated caps in that position (line to ground) are still used in modern designs so they can serve some purpose. And if equipment with 3 prong AC were only ever connected to properly earthed outlets, the death cap could never cause a problem (line breaker would just blow).

Sure I agree we should remove them in most old guitar amps, but I'm not going to remove one in a modern amp that has no polarity switch.
                Sorry to nit-pick, but the terminology and incomplete descriptions about 'death caps' in widespread use online could be improved upon, in my opinion.

I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I would have thought the name is obvious.
                  If the capacitor that connects the live to the earth goes short circuit, you will have a live chassis.
                  If it is leaky you will get possibly dangerous voltages on the chassis.
                  That is why it is called a death cap; because it can cause fatalities and in fact has done in the past, when faulty.

Its real purpose and definition, was to produce an HF short circuit back to the mains supply helping to reduce interference. (Similar to the now used class Y capacitor in your iPhone/Androis charger ... get a slight tingle from that some times? most people do).

In countries that have 110volt mains suppllies, is can be just uncomfortable when it fails but elsewhere we have 240volts and that is a real problem.
                  Imagine being on stage, old amp has a faulty RF filter capacitor, (to give it its correct description), guitar is live. Guitarist has decent shoes on so insulated from ground and happens to be a singer as well. Lips touch the microphone, the microphone is earthed and the strings are live.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where the power goes, does it.

A portable appliance, (amplifier in this case), will not pass a safety electrical test without a bonded earth.

Hope that clarifies why they are and have always been dangerous.
                  Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                  If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

I would have thought the name is obvious.
                    If the capacitor that connects the live to the earth goes short circuit, you will have a live chassis.
                    If it is leaky you will get possibly dangerous voltages on the chassis.
                    Not if the chassis is earthed, and there are no issues with the house wiring. Earthed chassis can't have voltage on it.
                    Problems with 'death caps' require multiple failures, first the cap itself, then the earthing of the chassis.
                    Removing them 'just because', rather than replacing with proper safety rated 'class Y' cap is still ignoring why they are used (and approved) in modern equipment, which is for noise and EMI issues. Many of the EMI filters built into modern IEC receptacles have them.
                    Yes, I remove them in old stuff when installing 3 conductor upgrade power cords. No, I do not remove proper approved 'line to earth' caps in modern equipment, which still qualify as 'death caps' by the internet definition (line to ground).
                    Again, this is just my rant about the misconceptions around the term 'death cap'. It is multiple failures that cause any issues, not the circuit position of the cap. There is nothing inherently dangerous about a line to ground cap if properly done, which is why approved designs can still include them.

Comment

Working...
                    X