Mesa Boogie F-30 Hum Problem After Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobloblaws View Post
    But I'm still curious why there is an unpopulated hole and the marking on the top of the board refers to a 120 ohm resistor. Any idea what that might be about? I certainly did not find such a resistor when I began working on this.
    The hole in the board is an option to install a different form factor 560 ohm 7 watt resistor

Comment

Originally posted by x-pro View Post
      The hole in the board is an option to install a different form factor 560 ohm 7 watt resistor
      Ok, I'm glad that got cleared up, thanks!!

Comment

I found a thread at https://music-electronics-forum.com/...-tremoverb-hum that discussed a Mesa Hum Fix that turned out, according ti the OP, to be a design flaw. It may not help in your case but can't hurt to read about what other's have experienced.

Comment

.... AC in the -15V supply would be 120Hz, yes?
          No. If you look at the formation of the +15 and -15 voltages, you can see that they come from one winding through a single half-period rectifier. The smoothing circuits are two RC circuits - 100 ohms+1000uF. The capacitors are of course large, but they may have lost their rating. Then there will be a background from 60Hz.

Comment

In general, the rules for routing conductors with alternating voltages (power or sound) for background suppression involve shielding or twisting the conductors and placing them close to the surface of the metal chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by x-pro View Post
              No. If you look at the formation of the +15 and -15 voltages, you can see that they come from one winding through a single half-period rectifier. The smoothing circuits are two RC circuits - 100 ohms+1000uF. The capacitors are of course large, but they may have lost their rating. Then there will be a background from 60Hz.
              Ok, good to know, thanks for that info.
              I have a a dual rail DC power supply I built as a Covid lockdown project, it's +12/-12. It would be a bit tricky, but I was thinking of disconnecting the -15V supply from the contour EQ section and injecting -12V from my gadget. Do you think that's worth a try?
              Last edited by bobloblaws; 09-22-2024, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Do you have a scope?
                Seeing the waveshape of the hum would help to identify the hum source.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                  I found a thread at https://music-electronics-forum.com/...-tremoverb-hum that discussed a Mesa Hum Fix that turned out, according ti the OP, to be a design flaw. It may not help in your case but can't hurt to read about what other's have experienced.
                  It looks like his solution was this:
                  It was a ground loop in the reverb recovery circuit; the stock setup has each channel's master volume, presence, and reverb pots sharing a ground bus. I removed the reverb pots from the bus and grounded them at the grid reference resistor for the post-master triode.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                    Do you have a scope?
                    Seeing the waveshape of the hum would help to identify the hum source.
                    Yes, I have a digital scope, but I'm not very good with it. I've only ever used it to check output power. I don't know how to set up the scope to isolate specific frequencies. I could give it a shot though.

Comment

Just post a pic of the hum at the speaker output. Should be mVs.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                        Just post a pic of the hum at the speaker output. Should be mVs.
                        I think I managed it. First I "tuned" the scope by putting 64HZ through the amp from my signal generator and then using the "auto" button on the scope. Turned off the test signal and was left with this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_7378.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1004860

Comment

That's a nice scope capture.
                          Another scope application tip when looking at a signal related to the line frequency is to set the trigger mode to "Line."

Comment

Interestingly there looks to be a 120Hz artifact? I hope Helmholtz or someone else has insight on this and you can source this problem.
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

First I "tuned" the scope by putting 64HZ through the amp from my signal generator and then using the "auto" button on the scope. Turned off the test signal and was left with this:
                              No need for "tuning" as your scope has autoset and automatically displays period time and frequency.
                              (I would change the settings to 50mVdiv vertical and 5ms/div for a larger display.)
                              The hum pattern shows single sided (negative going) peaks, typical for power supply ripple.

Now I would scope the +/- 15V supplies with the scope input in AC coupling.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                                Interestingly there looks to be a 120Hz artifact? I hope Helmholtz or someone else has insight on this and you can source this problem.
                                The small dips on the positive side are spaced at 60Hz.
                                Not sure what it is but the output hum might be composed of 2 different hum signals.
                                I would ignore the small dips for now.
                                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                                X