V1 weird voltages in a vintage Ampeg SVT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V1 weird voltages in a vintage Ampeg SVT

I have a weird problem. I have an old SVT which I kind-of-rescued (this is my 4th or 5th SVT now!). I like challenges, but this one is a tough one! While I replaced some burnt resistors, old caps, tubes, grounding, etc etc. and got to the point the amp is almost dead quiet on idle (in a good way) but the problem is, amp overdrives at lower volumes. I'd say close to 50W but not 300 as planned... Problem lays somehwere in the main chassis, because pluggin instrument into the power amp directly (avoiding all the upper part/preamp) is exactly the same.

If of course did complete tube swap - no change.

I did voltage measurements and eveyrthing is up to specs +/- other than V1 (12DW7) which seems to have abnormal voltages
    pin 1 (cathode) is almost 500V -- should be close to 280v
    pin 3 (plate) is almost 500v too -- should be close to 95v (!)
    pin 6 is like 50V higher too.

I checked all the resistors nearby - visually the look ok, measurements are close, but did not unsoldered them from circuit.
    - I found 15k (power amp side balance) pot shot (does resistance reading only turned to one side) but checked my other SVT and even totally unbalanced, it sounds nice of close to full RMS, for dure 2-3 times louder than this one.

I will replace the pot today, but any other thoughts, on that voltages?
    Attached Files

Pin 1 is the Plate, pin 3 is the cathode. Pin 6 is also a Plate.

What does this mean : pin 6 is like 50V higher too.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Something is wrong with all this. Please re check your work and information. Pin allocations are wrong and voltages indicated are inconsistent with the schematic. Further, I was unable to view the link because the page wouldn't open. I looked up the 1977 service manual elsewhere. I'm not linking it because the site indicated it was not secure.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by boroman View Post
        I did voltage measurements and eveyrthing is up to specs +/- other than V1
        So all supply node voltages measure good?
        What is the voltage at node C?

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Like Chuck said, recheck your work, stated/expected voltages and pins dont match the schem. If voltages are extremely hi I would say that is overdriving V1 and causing it to distort so early.

Comment

Sorry I mislabeled pins - their descriptions (plate,cathode) are wrong, but pointa of tests (pins) were right. Sorry about that.
            What I was writing about the balance pot, it shorts to ground after approx 10ohm reading (so most of the pot is gone). So VERY bad. That was probably cause of everything here. As I measured with the wrong, pot, voltages go up a lot in V1 when pot reaches bad spot. I didn't have time to put new one today, will check everything tomorrow.

I also ordered 100R pots. What I learned in those old ampegs, the 100R resistors to ground (insetad of a 100R pot) is olny a temporary way. I hate all sorts of hum, so let's have it done like it should be...

Will come back for update here in few days.

Thank you!

Comment

See if this works.

When posting pdf files, I guess our site does not like blank spaces between characters. So you need to use underscores to fill in blank spaces.

SVT_Manual_5_1_1977.pdf
              It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

The link works fine for me as is.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by boroman View Post
                  Sorry I mislabeled pins - their descriptions (plate,cathode) are wrong, but pointa of tests (pins) were right. Sorry about that.
                  Please spare us the mental gymnastics

Post small table showing voltage at *all* 12DW7 pins.
                  Last edited by J M Fahey; Today, 01:35 PM.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

...and don't forget the supply voltage at node C.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                    X