Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JMP1 rack pre, dead display

Hi all, I have a JMP1 saga ...

It blew a fuse while in use, and some discoloration on the power transformer. The current across the fuse socket was ~200 mA without preamp tubes so I checked it unloaded, and yeah, the short was internal. Nothing else looks crispy.

Power transformer has been replaced with a new one from Plasma Music LTD, and the current through the fuse socket is a much more reasonable ~40 mA. I replaced the battery as well while I was in there. But now there is no display and buttons / rotary encoder do nothing. The unit still passes signal from input to the headphone jack on the front.

I've checked everything I can think of in power supply world. Linear regulator outputs all look correct, I've had a scope on them and there's no bounce or anything so apparently filter caps are fine. I've done the reset, holding OD1 + CL1 and restarting. No change. IC power pins are getting proper voltage. It -seems- like the transformer swap was successful and something else has gone wrong.

What else is worth poking here? If I somehow killed the EPROM / SRAM / processor, is there anything to be done there? I'm open to suggestions. I like this thing, would prefer not giving up!

Thanks

N​
    Attached Files

Double check connections from main board to front panel board. Maybe you got a connector off a pin, bent a pin, or something of the sort.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yeah it's a fair thought but the connections check good with a meter set to beep ...

Comment

Have you got VDS?
        Does X1 oscillate?
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
        If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
          Have you got VDS?
          Does X1 oscillate?
          Hi Jon, yes, I have checked VDS in a few places all around the board, and haven't seen anything weird. Steady 5V ish.

Hadn't thought of checking X1. So right now I have a scope on one leg, the one tied to the 8031 on-chip oscillator's output, and it shows a 12 MHz sinusoid, about 1V PtP, riding about 2V of DC. Does this sound right? I know what this is conceptually but not sure what it should look like.

Comment

Working...
          X