Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about biasing Fender 94 Twin...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about biasing Fender 94 Twin...?

http://www.fender.com/support/amp_sc..._Schematic.pdf

This amp has only 2 of the 4 power tubes installed, and I'm wondering if that's what's confusing me....

2 power tubes installed, high power setting....when i measure bias voltage at the amp's back panel test points, i can get 80mV and I can adjust the bias balance to -zero-. all this as per manufacturer's recommendations on the schematic. but when I put my bias probe on one of the tubes and measure current, i read 80mA....and there's a bit of redplating visible.

is this because of two power tubes installed instead of 4? I'm thinking i need to raise the value of the 100K R95 bias resistor to bring the current down, whether i've got 2 tubes in or 4...

thanks for your help

Originally posted by acorkos View Post
    2 power tubes installed, high power setting....when i measure bias voltage at the amp's back panel test points, i can get 80mV and I can adjust the bias balance to -zero-. all this as per manufacturer's recommendations on the schematic. but when I put my bias probe on one of the tubes and measure current, i read 80mA....and there's a bit of redplating visible.
    The 80mV setting is for 2 power tubes! The amp has 1-1ohm cathode resistor shared by two 6L6s. So the 80mV equals 80mA for both of the 2 tubes, 40mA per tube. If you set the amp for 80mV, you are causing one tube to run at 80mA, not the original specified 40mA.

Comment

thanks for the reply, 52. Does that mean I can set the bias voltage at 40MV and run only 2 tubes? or are 4 tubes required? The low power setting would seem to accomplish more effectively what pulling a pair of power tubes does.

Comment

Originally posted by acorkos View Post
        thanks for the reply, 52. Does that mean I can set the bias voltage at 40MV and run only 2 tubes? or are 4 tubes required? The low power setting would seem to accomplish more effectively what pulling a pair of power tubes does.
        Yes, you should be able to set it up for two tubes, but as you noted the low power (25 watt) setting will do a better job with all four tubes installed.

Comment

Working...
        X