The Twin power trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Twin power trans?

Got a red knob Fender "The Twin" with a bad power transformer, open primary-unless there's a thermal fuse inside.
    What'd you use as a replacement?
    Standard 100w Fender tranny?

My first line of defense would be to call Fender and see if that is still available. p/n is 026477.

Hmmm... The heaters are a given. Due to the hi/low power switching, you need the center tapped HV winding, so that lets out the PT from the Twin Reverb 65 RI. You also need the separate bias winding, not a tap off the HV. This winding not only makes the bias, but the positive rectification of it is used in the LED and op amp circuits. SO I don't think the Twin Amp PT works because it has a split supply for the solid state stuff, but uses a voltage doubler for bias. So it wouldn;t drop in.

SO that's my take, heaters, CT HV winding, separate full winding for bias. Not sure what model equates.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'll call Fender tomorrow, got a number?
      Sovtek Mig100 power trans has all you listed as I used one in a home brew, possibly a mesa 100w PT I have lying around also, but a direct replacement is always the best way to go.

Comment

All I have is the dealer number, but I am sure the Fender web site has contact info.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X