Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anything that can be done to sweeten up the reverb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep in mind that probably 75% of what determines the quality of your reverb is having a good sounding spring tray. All the tweaks in the world won't make up for a bad sounding tray.
    Mac/Amps
    "preserving the classics"
    Chicago, Il., USA
    (773) 283-1217
    (cell) (847) 772-2979
    Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
    www.mac4amps.com

Comment

OK.....I'll bite & throw this thread way off track.......Who is making the best sounding tray(s) today and what exactly make a "good sounding" tray?

I'm assuming I'm building from scratch and can design in anything I want. Are accutronics the best? How many springs? What length? I'm thinking more of a "natural" reverb than I am of a Dick Dale sound.

Any thoughts?

Comment

the tray is only one part of the equation, the circuit around it is another part. Stand alone units like Orban, Peavey, Fostex and AKG are better sounding spring reverb. Most guitar amps have good enough trays, and circuits that need improving to sound really good.

Comment

So which circuits do you like. Are schematics readily available on the net?

Comment

Accutronics USED to make some of the best ones. Like everything else (these days), they don't seem to be too consistant. I've gotten in good ones and bad ones lately, it seems to be somewhat hit & miss. I'd guess that they're probably still the most reliable though.That also goes for the 2-spring vs. 3-spring trays. Some of my clients Love the sound of upgrading their old tray to a 3-spring, whereas others prefer the 2-springers. It's really dependent on various factors. Tanks can react differently to different amps (even of the exact same model).
            Mac/Amps
            "preserving the classics"
            Chicago, Il., USA
            (773) 283-1217
            (cell) (847) 772-2979
            Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
            www.mac4amps.com

Comment

Working...
            X