a question about capacitor size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question about capacitor size?

I am having a difficult time finding replacement capacitors for my loudspeakers. I can find replacement capacitors with all of the correct parameters (i.e. uf rating / tolerance level / voltage / etc.) but I can not find parts of the correct size. The current size caps that need to be replaced measure 12.7mm diameter x 19.05mm Length. I can't find anything close to that size. I've tried every parts supplier I know of.
    I am wondering how much affect the actual size of a cap makes to it's performance?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

None whatsoever. The main thing is if it will fit the lead spacing and not cause cosmetic problems from something not fitting with it in the way. If you look at the cap it will usually have some numbers on it and a manufacturor like Nichcon LQ 123--?? or whatever. Do a google search on that number and it may bring up the data sheet and a distributor for that item.
    KB

Comment

How old are these speakers? Caps these days tend to be a lot smaller than caps of the same ratings made 20 years ago. If the capacitance and voltage are right, the cap should work even if it is physically smaller.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X