Rookie Question: Replacing Tube Socket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Question: Replacing Tube Socket

I am about to replace a nine pin tube socket in a Harmony H305 tube amp. The new one has ears to mount to the surface/chasis as does the old one. It appears that the old socket is riveted to the chasis.

As with with rivet removal in other applications, do I just drill out the rivit?

Bit size? Is riveting the new socket in the best way to attach? Seems to me that small metal screws might risk backing out due to vibration.

Thanks in advance,

ENB

Drilling out the rivet is what I've always done. The size bit you need depends on the size of the rivet. Pick something the same size or slightly smaller than the rivet.

I use screws to hold my tube sockets in. Being that blind rivets need a special tool to be used, I'd bypass buying it unless I really had a need to have one.
    -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ENB View Post
      Is riveting the new socket in the best way to attach? Seems to me that small metal screws might risk backing out due to vibration.
      When a screw gets loose, it can be re-tightened with a screwdriver; when a rivet gets loose, it just sits there and rattles until you drill it out and replace it with a screw.
      -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Thats the information I was looking for. Thank you guys.

ENB

Comment

The standard pop-rivet is a 1/8" hole, so I use 1/8 to drill out old rivets. I have had very few problems with pop-rivets, and you don;t have to get behind them to put them in.

You do have to get behind a screw to install the nut, but that isn;t often a problem. If you worry about screws loosening, install them snug then dope the threads with nail polish or lacquer, or dope them with Loctite ahead of time. Or use one of my favorite products, the Nylock nut - the nut has a nylon insert that grips the threads so it doesn;t loosen.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X