Loud squeal (oscillation?) after replacing output transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud squeal (oscillation?) after replacing output transformer

My '59 Gibson GA18-T amp (2 x 6V6) has got a tiny output transformer. Not that it sounds bad, but I'd like to get some more volume and balls out of it.
    So I put a tweed Deluxe-style Hammond output transformer in it.
    Problem:
    the amp squeals like crazy with the new tranny, even with the volume at zero.
    Could it be an oscillation issue due to bad wire layout? I tried to replicate the old layout... I tried to move around the new wires with the amp on (and with aching ears) to no avail.
    I attach two photos. The chassis photo shows where the central tap and the primary wires are laid.
    Is there a way to chase oscillations? Or could the new tranny be no good for the amp?
    Attached Files
    Carlo Pipitone

I'm going to guess that you have positive feedback going on. Try swapping the connections (just the wires from the transformer) at the outer primary wires or the secondary wires to change the phase of the output by 180 degrees.

MPM

Comment

Try swapping the OT leads to the power tubes. You may have created postive feedback when replacing the OT. I think the GA-18T uses negative feedback from the power amp. The new OT's start and finish of the windings are probably different from the original one.
      Dave

Comment

You do not have to go near the tube sockets. Reverse the secondary leads to the speaker. Yes, you Do have negative feedback going on.
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

As long as the NFB wire stays where it is now.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You know you may have positive feedback
            Switch the plate leads......I've had to do this more times than I can count especially on builds.

Comment

Fixed!

Fixed!
              I reverted the plate wires from the OT and the squeal went away.
              Thanks everybody.
              Carlo Pipitone

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
                You do not have to go near the tube sockets. Reverse the secondary leads to the speaker. Yes, you Do have POSITIVE feedback going on.
                Oops! Brain fart.
                John R. Frondelli
                dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Glad it worked Carlo. Now, how does it sound with the new OT?
                  Dave

Comment

It sounds GREAT!
                    Ranges from mellow pussycat tones to a growling roar...
                    And louder than before...
                    Carlo Pipitone

Comment

Can't think about the ones that got away, John, we have to think about the ones we brought home.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by slidincharlie (Carlo P) View Post
                        It sounds GREAT!
                        Ranges from mellow pussycat tones to a growling roar...
                        And louder than before...
                        Charlie, was that updated transformer a direct-fit, or did you have to drill? I'm almost afraid to give my Explorer any increased power since it has the original P10R still in it...guess I could pack that speaker away and replace it as well!

Comment

TD,
                          I had to drill one hole to accomodate one of the screws. There's more than enough room to host the Deluxe tranny.
                          My amp came with a replacement mid-60s CTS alnico speaker, probably one of those that went into the Super Reverb.
                          I guess that this amp would sound gorgeous with a good 12" alnico speaker and the upgraded OT...
                          Carlo Pipitone

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                            You know you may have positive feedback
                            Switch the plate leads......I've had to do this more times than I can count especially on builds.
                            I had the same squealing problem and I just reversed the plate lead and it is working great. Wonderlful! It's been couple weeks I was working on my amp and I was really panicked when I heard that noise. Thanks a lot guys!

Comment

Working...
                            X