• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5Y3 from pin 4 to pin 6
    550VAC
    measure VAC across pins 2 and 8
    5.1VAC

Here's the doc... voltages seem low compared to what you have listed.
    Attached Files

Comment

Well the standard PT HT for a champ is 325-0-325 Yours is 269-0-280 so I'd expect the B+ to be lower as well.

You do have 12 watts going through the two 6V6GT's though I don't see anything really wrong with the voltages.
      Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

So I went back to check the voltage on pin 5 of the 6V6 - seemed like it should be something besides zero - it actually measures 0.007VDC at idle and jumps around with input from the guitar up to 0.05VDC. This led me to one of the leads that comes off pins 5/6 to the master volume... BINGO! There was a bum solder joint on the pot - re-flowed it and good as new!

I certainly have learned a lot about my amp in the process. Thanks to all of you guys... I really appreciate the info you have imparted.

tubeswell - that link to Jack Darr's book is great - I'm reading it and it explains things so well - excellent.

bnwitt - thanks for all your input - it led me right to the problem in a roundabout way.

I feel like I just won the Super Bowl!

Comment

Way to go Idaho! Sweet success through tenacious application of stubbornness always feels great. Now its time to jam. By the way, pin 5 is the control grid or grid number 1. It is where the signal from the phase inverter goes into the power tube. 0 volts there is not unusual without a signal but good find on the solder joint.
          Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

Working...
          X