No announcement yet.

How to check O/T health?-Mesa ReverbRocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW if you have a working power supply for a model railway set, they usually have a low voltage AC connection point which you can use to hook up to the OT secondary. Pay the utmost care when you do it. If the OT is working properly, you'll get something like 20-30 times the input AC voltage reflected across the OT primary (depending on what load resistance the OT is wound for), so you'll need to have the meter set to the 1000V or kV scale
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thank you all for the useful siggestions. The reason I suspected the ot was the possibility I may have inadvertantly damaged it by using a instrument cable for the ext cab, along with the 10" BlackShadow on board. I am readng so much various materials on Amps etc that I don't recall the source exactly, but it implied that too small awg can damge/burn the coil(?)winding in th ot. I had run this 20ga cable for a few months at medium output levels and hard playing.

I like the info to bypass the output stage via the loop out jack and see what happens there-Thanks for that tip. I am at times limited to the amount of time I can put to this repair, and I did the ot check first after doing a basic check of the jacks and tubes etc. I have not done a thorough cleaning as I assume DeOxit or similar is what is called for there- I need to get that, and from a guitar tech was told tiny amount at each terminal, never flood an area. I assume it is a mild acid(?) and thus etches/de-corrodes the contact, as fluxes do as well. Any corrections on my understanding appreciated, and sorry for my tardy reply, I put this project to bed for a couple of days as I tend other areas.

Also thanks for Railroad Transformer tip as low ac source- easy unit to come by, but my model railroading youth is many years past...what fun though that was.

Will see what I can get with the loop bypass
      Graci, Graci, John

Comment

Working...
      X