Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Sidekick Reverb 65 repair - also, schematic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Sidekick Reverb 65 repair - also, schematic?

Does anyone have a schematic for a Fender Sidekick Reverb 65? solid-state amp, made in Japan in the 80s, post-CBS (or at least no reference to CBS on the chassis). Got it for free from a friend because it's got some issues. It was fine for him until it crapped out at the end of a set (I imagine he had it pretty much dimed out, his drummer is LOUD)

At very low volumes it sounds fine, but when you turn it up more it starts to get a nasty farting/buzzing distortion. I've isolated it to the power amp section (ran a different preamp into the power section and noise was still there, ran the preamp into a different power-amp and no problems), and since it went bad after a while of high-volume playing, I'm inclined to think it's a bad output transistor, overheated maybe. Haven't pulled the chassis yet, just gave it a few minutes look-over, and that's my first impression. Anyone agree/disagree with that (very preliminary) diagnosis?

Anyway, if anyone has a schematic I could look over, I'd really appreciate it, and if anyone has worked on one of these before and has any advice I'd appreciate it as well!

I have the 100 watt bass head (SK100B) and would also like to know where a schematic could be found for this series of amps.

Comment

Here, try this.
      Attached Files
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo, you are the man! Now I've got something to do this evening...

One more thing... does anyone know where to get old power transistors? Looks like I need 2SD1046E transistors which are obsolete...
        Last edited by f13ndus; 01-13-2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Oh lord, you can use about anything.

2SD1046 - 150v, 8A, 80 watt. All that in a TO3P package. Or a TO218.

Your circuit runs off +/-24VDC. SO 150v is a bit of overkill.

I have several candidates in my drawers, but looking at the transistor selector guide in my MCM catalog - and I don;t usually disagree with that page - under TO3P, they list quite a few. Several 120v 8A types, and a few 10A types as well.

Just replace both outputs so they will be the same and most anything of sufficient ratings will work fine.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Cool, I didn't know how specific I had to be with replacements, haven't done much work on Transistor amps. I'm about to place an order with Mouser so I'll go see what I can find over there that'll work.

Comment

One more question: do I have to worry about hFE? I think I'll order these transistors: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FJ/FJP13007.pdf

I think they'll work; but, as I'm not too experienced with transistors, I thought I'd double check before I put the order through.

Comment

Nope, those are completely wrong for this. The 13007 is a switching transistor used in power supplies and things. The 700 volt rating is a clue there. The picture you link to is of a TO220 package transistor. Is that what is in your amp? I looked up your part number and my guide shows a TO3P package. They are different shapes and not interchangable. The TO3P will usually dissipate two to three times the power that the TO220 will.

If you really do have TO220 parts, then something like an MJE15030 should work. There are Asian types I might reach for first, but Mouser doesn;t sell them.

I don;t know what is current in TO3P that Mouser sells. I am sure there is a selection. I usually use Asian types for that package type. Nothing against US types, but most times I need such parts, it is replacing Asian ones. SO that is my stock.

If you have the MCM catalog, page 277 in catalog 53, a couple pages after the end of the general semiconductor listings is a page with a "Transistor Selector Guide." That suggests good types to use. It is grouped by package, then by rating within package groups.

Comment

Thank you for sharing the schematics for the Fender Sidekick Reverb 65. I also have this amp and would like to know where I can get parts for it. I need the input jacks for it, they are a five terminal jack.

Comment

Originally posted by TeleBill View Post
                    Thank you for sharing the schematics for the Fender Sidekick Reverb 65. I also have this amp and would like to know where I can get parts for it. I need the input jacks for it, they are a five terminal jack.
                    If you look at the service manual that Enzo posted, there is a parts list which includes the Fender part numbers. Look up the jack number and see if it's still available from Fender.

Through the years, Fender used a number of different plastic pc mount jacks in their amps. I can't remember if the Sidekicks used the earlier shorter style jacks that are no longer available or the taller style which can still be ordered through any Fender dealer or through Antique Electronics. If you search the Antique site you can compare the jack in your amp with the ones that are still available.

Comment

Thank you for the info, I found out that it is a 9 pin jack and ordered it from Antique Electronic Supply. I am now trying to find the LED for the Sidekick 65 Reverb (part number 025472, Model:TRL-206) do you have any suggestion on how to find it?

Comment

LED? It is just an LED. Square, round, large, small, red, green. Radio Shack sells LEDs. ALL the parts houses like Mouser sell LEDs.

Comment

Working...
                        X