Laid off, yet again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laid off, yet again.

Got called into the directors office last week along with my supervisor and a co-worker and was informed I was to be let go on Jan 30.

We'll stipulate all the shock and depression, but I'm a lot more scared now than the last time, things are really bad in the country right now and I'm broke. I never got caught up from the last time I was laid off. I know it's not manly to show fear but that's where I am, and it's very hard.

The day I was informed was a year ago to the day I was laid off from my last job.

Ironically, I got a raise. This company automatically grants a COLA the first of the year.

I posted this in Repair and Maintenance because my whole life needs fixing.
    Stop by my web page!

me too

i got it in march. been out ever since.

Comment

If you know a trade, now would be the time to start using it or even to go into one. The money's not great because the worker shortage hasn't gotten to the point where companies will pay for talent, but pretty much every trade is in pain right now because they can't find good workers. Welders, machinists, plumbers, electricians...
      -Mike

Comment

Any chance you can start an amp repair biz? Depending on where you live if there are not a lot of folks doing this, you can acquire dealers & make a go of it. You can start with some of the easier warranties out there like Kustom, community, Korg, Mesa, Peavey who will let you work from your home.

I actually started my biz 3 1/2yrs ago while I was working for ATT. I did not like all the layoffs going on around me & knowing they rarely keep anyone over 60yrs old, I knew my time would be up soon. I really hated the living in fear & the way the company holds that over your head to get you to suck up. I had always worked at smaller shops in consumer electronics before that field dried up. You felt like you were valued & not just a part of big machine.

Anyway before leaving ATT I was waited for a year in hopes they would lay me off to get that severence package, but ya know that never happens when you want it to. I finally had to make a move as at that point as I had leased space with one of my dealers & the biz was needing me there full time at that point.

I suppose a guy could do a job like working at Home Depot to pay the bills & have some health insurance while starting some other biz...I've done that, too.

Wishing the best, glen

Comment

Sorry to hear that you lost your job - since starting work in the late 70's I estimate that I've been through over 20 layoffs since then. Walked away from a spin off of HP (Agilent) five years ago - missed the big severance package by 2 weeks and started working in a field I really wanted to be in since high school.

It's hard to look at this as a good time to do what you really want to do but I believe that's what's staring you in the face right now.

BTW, check out Craig's List Atlanta - I found my last job on CL.....

Good Luck

gb

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Amp Repair View Post
            You can start with some of the easier warranties out there like Kustom, community, Korg, Mesa, Peavey who will let you work from your home.
            Hmm, that's interesting. Peavey told me I had to have a storefront to be authorized. Maybe they've changed their policy. I am the only amp service shop within 70 miles so I guess I need to contact some more dealers.

Do like Glen says. Be creative on a temporary job until things get better. Good luck to you.
            Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

Looks like a bunch of us getting the boot...I have a little over two weeks.

Comment

I got axed two weeks ago. My "income circuit" is busted. I wish there were a simple resistor/capacitor combination that could fix that.

Comment

Guys thanks for the support. Good luck to those who have job problems like me.

I wouldn't be able to open a repair business, I don't have the smarts most of you guys do, or the tools. Most of what I learned about amps came from you fellas on this forum. It's always been just a hobby for me. I could do very basic stuff like biasing, blackfacing Fenders, and other simple mods but that's it.

I have thought about teaching guitar, and I have a nice little studio I could charge for use.

Probably gonna have to sell some gear too, dammit.
                  Stop by my web page!

Comment

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do, my singer told me yesterday he's getting laid off in 2 weeks, he's got a wife and 2 kids.
                    If it happened to me I'd have to try and get more repair work to make ends meet.

Comment

bnwitt,
                      I may be wrong about Peavey or perhaps they changed their policy. Interestingly enough her in Denver I see very little Peavey warranty work.

Regis...good luck to you. Hopefully the new administration will get things turned around & we'll all benefit at some point. glen

Comment

Regis, sorry to hear about your misfortune. The silver lining in this cloud may not be apparent right now....but it's there. I would certainly start teaching. I know several guys doing that and they are busier NOW than ever before. They teach in peoples homes. Pick out the wealthiest area around you and start making contacts. Leave fliers and cards in coffee houses and tacked up on every bulletin board around. Once you get a few students the word will spread and you will be turning people down within 6 months. I see it happen all the time. Offer in home lessons for anyone who wants to learn. That studio looks well equipped. Rent that sucker out to local bands....have them bring their own cymbals though.

I wish you luck.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Amp Repair View Post
                          bnwitt,
                          I may be wrong about Peavey or perhaps they changed their policy. Interestingly enough her in Denver I see very little Peavey warranty work.

Same here. I see more Marshall and Fender warranty work. Unfortunately at the moment I have to turn it away.
                          Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Regis View Post
                            I know it's not manly to show fear but that's where I am, and it's very hard.
                            Hi Regis,
                            I don't agree when you say it's not manly to show fear....It takes a real man to admit to be scared, most of us fear something but we're not men enough to admit it and do something about it. What I'm trying to say is that you're a real man IMHO, and I'm sure you'll get out of this mess soon.

Good luck!

Bob
                            Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Nice screen saver!

And BTW nicely equipped studio...looks like there's some possible revenue there.

Now pardon my possible 'been out of it too long' question, but why the 1/4" reel to reel?

More for the MoJo effect or do folks actually make copies on R-R still? glen

Comment

Working...
                              X