30k 10 Watt Resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30k 10 Watt Resistor

The 30k Screen Resistor in a Fender Super 210 has cooked out of the eyeletts on the PC board and leads are clipped short. Having some trouble locating a replacement. The orginal is still within 20% (25k). I may reuse this one and run point to point about one inch to reach it's destinations.

The board shows evedence of quite a bit of heat here. How is the best way to tie this Resistor to the PC board without compounding the heat problem?

Thanks

Originally posted by ENB View Post
    The 30k Screen Resistor in a Fender Super 210 has cooked out of the eyeletts on the PC board and leads are clipped short. Having some trouble locating a replacement. The orginal is still within 20% (25k). I may reuse this one and run point to point about one inch to reach it's destinations.

The board shows evedence of quite a bit of heat here. How is the best way to tie this Resistor to the PC board without compounding the heat problem?
    If you want to keep the resistor (instead of getting a new one), try soldering some thicker gauge reinforcing wire - twisted around the existing leads - and then mount the resistor above the board (or use stand-offs to do the same thing). However what you could also do is get two 56k 10W resistors in parallel and twist and solder the leads together (so that they have enough strength to stand away from the board). That would be better at dispersing the heat.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Hi ENB, Hi tw,

+1 on the "parallel" arrangement, only, I would use a 68K in parallel with a 56K to get closer to the nominal value, but two 56K resistors in parallel as per tw's advice would do just fine anyway....tolerances in tube amps are not that "critical" after all....

Hope this helps

Best regards

Bob
      Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Had a similar problem in a Red Knob "The Twin" where the board was damaged.
        Mounted the wire wound on a tag strip using an existing screw/bolt and ran wires to it.
        Still going as far as I know..
        Fender have it for a price probably have to order it through an authorized
        repair centre but the above replacements will work just fine !

Comment

Or mount one of these on the chassis wall and run a couple wires.

Mouser Part #: 71-RH10-30K

In stock for $4.88
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the Options

I am gonna weigh the options you guys offered. All of them are viable, Thanks. I like the Idea of The Surface mountied Resisistor with the integrated Heat Sink too.

In my novice mind it also seems the two Parralell's would have more surface to disipate heat over a "slightly" smaller area than the orginal 30k alone, or is that just wishful thinking??

Thank you all so much,

ENB

Comment

Originally posted by ENB View Post
              In my novice mind it also seems the two Parralell's would have more surface to disipate heat over a "slightly" smaller area than the orginal 30k alone, or is that just wishful thinking??
              If you use 10W wire-wound cement resistors, they are the same size (so there is twice the heat dissipation potential)
              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
              X