Need supplier for 15mm 20kA pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need supplier for 15mm 20kA pot

I am in need of a 20ka 16mm pcb mount potentiometer for this Crate Palomino I am working on. I hate to place and order with Loud for one little pot and I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get these. I've looked at Mouser, Allied, and Newark and so far no luck on finding anything this size. The overall length from tip of shaft to the back of the pot case is approx 1 3/16". The pot case body is approx 16mm and the shaft has a split knurled shaft. The number pulls up nothing on google but is a 15A20KDQ. The closest data sheet I am finding is a P160KNP0QD20A20K but I can't find any of them in stock anywhere. Pics included.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bnwitt; 02-11-2009, 06:15 PM.
    Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Pots are custom made for the OEM, no one has boxes of these on a shelf looking for a buyer.

Get yourself an Alps catalog, or visit their web site. To order a pot, there is a part number generator. In it you would select size/dimension. Shaft type/dimention. COnnections - pcb or lug. Mounting - bushing or not. Orientation - parallel or right angle to board. Side support brackets? Element wattage. Element material. Resistance. Taper. And I forget what all else. All that will spit out a part number, which they would then manufacture for you. How many thousands do you need?

SO Peavey and Marshall might use the same pots, but configured very different.

However, split knurled shaft is used on a ton of Marshalls. And 16mm at that. And seems to me I have a drawer for 20k or 22k in my Marshall stuff. Check yours.

SOmetimes the mounting is in the way. For example wing brackets like Fender uses might be in the way here. But if the pot is otherwise the same, unbend the four tabs that hold the pot together, remove the wing bracket, then rebend the tabs to reassemble the pot. I have done this and similar pot repairs many many times.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The problem with the Marshall stuff is the ones in the 20K range are all 24mm not 16mm. Looks like I'm OEM'd again. Gosh, I sure wish the controlled muli-level distribution chain in this world with all of it's price mark ups would dissolve and release all parts to internet availability straight from the manufacturers.

Sometimes I feel like a Mary Kay make up sales person. Multi level marking is an old Amway concept which needs to die. I don't need to make money on parts. Just my fixit skills. There are too many folks who need to make money on just the parts. They're like tape worms on the nurishment system of the world.
      But I guess if we cut them all out, the plaid jacket sales would go way down due to a lack of Mr. Haneys. Oliver Douglas is turning over in his grave.
      Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

There may well be 20k Marshall pots in the 24mm size, but there are also 20k pots Marshall uses in the 16mm size. When marshall makes an amp, all the pots are the same size, 16mm 24mm whatever. And you can always order their stuff too:

http://www.marshallparts.com/

But if you are ordereing, then why not go to the source.

I have a stack of dead practice amps here. A lot of them are made with 16mm pots. You got any dead stuff?

This is no conspiracy, this is not multilevel marketing. The OEM makes the amplifier, and they also make parts available through their parts department. yes, they mark them up, but really, when I call PV for a pot and pay $1.50 for it including shipping, do you REALLY think they are making out like bandits on parts?

Gosh, I sure wish the controlled muli-level distribution chain in this world with all of it's price mark ups would dissolve and release all parts to internet availability straight from the manufacturers.
        The parts ARE ALREADY available from the manufacturers. You can call Alps or Alpha or whoever right now and order exactly the pots you want. You merely have to make their minimum order. SOme number of thousands of each type you want. Like an omelet at the diner, the parts are made for each order, they are not premade and waiting.

I personally don;t need a few thousand of any pot. It is only relatively recent that Mouser and Allied dropped their minimum orders. MCM still has a minimum I believe.

And while Mouser may no longer have a minimum order, try ordering two 1/2 watt resistors. Even if the part is only a penny, if the smallest amount you can buy is 100 of them, then that is still a minimum order.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo,
          I know the electronics parts situation isn't as bad as I made out. I tend to kid alot and have a very dry sense of humour. Coming from 30 years in the mechanical engineering field I have seen parts marked up 100% multiple times in the distribution chain before they hit the tech level and that just isn't right. Automobile parts are a prime example of that.

That being said, I have tried every parts vendor out there for this particular part. The Marshall 22K pots (both 24mm and 15mm) are linear not audio like I need. I did find some 20k audio pots but their shaft length is 15mm not 20mm like I need. The bottom line is, this pot is an oddball. I, like you, don't need thousands of a pot for stock. I do have some dead amps with 16mm pots but none meet the criteria. So today I will call Loud and order 1 stinkin' pot from them. It will be embarrasing and the shipping will be more that the part. I would have rather purchased the pot and several other items from an electronics vendor to spread that shipping cost out more. But oh well. Thankfully this doesn't happen too often. I appreciate your help.
          Barry

Comment

Working...
          X