Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will big ass filter caps newter my tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will big ass filter caps newter my tone?

I know the requirement of limiting first stage B+ filter cap to less than 40mfd when a rectifier tube is present but givin that my silvertone 1484 twin twelve has a SS rect., what would be the effect if I replaced all those 150 volt "planet waves" caps in the voltage doubler section with big ass 330mfd 400v caps salveged from computer monitors. The silvertone has a cool anemic kind of tone (even with a larger OT) and I'd hate to mess with things too much but need it to be reliable so I want to replace the caps but have to use what is on hand (can't afford new caps to match the values precisely)

Ok to use bigger caps as is or should I parallel each with smaller value caps to lower the MFDs ?

You might want to put those caps in series on the Pii filter caps to get an 800V rating. That will bring them down to 165uF - still plenty either way. It just means you are likely to get a slightly higher DC voltage with slightly less (tho' not much less) ripple at idle than you would with a 40uF cap, because bigger caps holds their charge more. In terms of tone - maybe a bit cleaner because of the higher, slightly smoother DC voltage.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

You can probably get away with that, but really. Those computer caps are radial mount, I'd wager, while the amplifier has axial leaded caps? Getting the right part will fit a lot better, and hte wires will reach.

A quick browse in Mouser www.mouser.com shows me several suitable caps.

Stock 647-TVX2C101MCD is 100uf 160v for $1.65
      Stock 647-TVX2D101MCD is 100uf 200v for $2.01
      Stock 140-XAL160V100-RC is 100uf 160v for $1.93

Since you only need four of them, the total cost is about $7-8.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
        You might want to put those caps in series on the Pii filter caps to get an 800V rating. That will bring them down to 165uF - still plenty either way. It just means you are likely to get a slightly higher DC voltage with slightly less (tho' not much less) ripple at idle than you would with a 40uF cap, because bigger caps holds their charge more. In terms of tone - maybe a bit cleaner because of the higher, slightly smoother DC voltage.
        Nah, it's not really needed because each stock E-cap is across it's own rectifier diode in the doubler/multiplier so you do not need more then a 68uF to 100uf @ 150v to 200 v cap in each section.
        Frequently (every time), what I do is replace the incredibly cheap ass Planet caps (they have a one or two year rating) with new 100uF@160v axial or radial caps ... then, at the end of the voltage doubler/multiplier bridge and right before the choke, I install a pair of small two snap-in caps rated at 100uF@250v... but in series for 50uF @500v. There is space along side the vertical circuit board to stick this.
        If you want, you can solder a couple 180K-220K balancing resistors across each lug of the extra, snap-in caps but it just doesn't seem to matter much.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
        X