Peavey TNT-no output, and I think it's my fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey TNT-no output, and I think it's my fault

I have a friend's Peavey TNT bass amp that was originally making a horrible hum when turned on. I looked inside and it appeared that whenever I touched one of the 1k 5W power resistors it would stop. I got to the point where it was not humming at all except when I played low G or Ab notes on the bass, then it would start again and continue until I touched the output transformer with a chopstick then immediately it would stop. I turned the board over and thought I would tidy some connections with my soldering iron. When I turned it on again I now have no output. Voltage on the lower power transistor shows collector 0v, emitter -36 v, and base -36V. I have not been able to figure out why this is the case, no solder bridges are present on the board. when I touch the base with a probe, I get some sound through the speaker. This is the only way any sound comes through at this point. I am afraid in trying to fix this bass amp I have made things worse! Help.

More likely you have an oppen somewhere, rather than a solder bridge.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you for the quick response. You were right. A primary lead of the output transformer was broken, probably by my moving it around. I was able to reconnect it and the amp works now.

Comment

Working...
      X