Fender FM65 DSP lockup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender FM65 DSP lockup

Got one of these in with the DSP module locking up after a half hour or so. Freeze spray won't bring it back.....only a reset. 5V reg is fine. Has this been a common issue with these? Dunno what the F word gets for a replacement but I suspect its more than the used value of the amp.
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Also could be the A/D converter....guess I'll have to poke around with the scope. Anyone have the schemo on this chassis?

Comment

Mighta found the trouble. Had the chassis on the bench and was pushing on the dsp pcb to check for bad solder.....it quit when I got to the prom. Reset it....smacked it again.....quit. Pulled it out of the socket and cleaned off the pins....ran it in/out of the socket a few times....seems stable now. Stay tuned......

Comment

Once the program stops running, the freeze spray can't restart it even if it clears the thermal issue.

I have always replaced the little cards. DOn't remember the cost. If I had to guess, I'd estimate $30 more or less.

Call Fender and ask what the proper part number and list price is on the things. I am sure we could source one for you.

The FM65DSP is on the do not repair list for warranty purposes.

I just checked my pile of scrapped Fenders, none had the DSP.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Once the program stops running, the freeze spray can't restart it even if it clears the thermal issue.

I have always replaced the little cards. DOn't remember the cost. If I had to guess, I'd estimate $30 more or less.

Call Fender and ask what the proper part number and list price is on the things. I am sure we could source one for you.

The FM65DSP is on the do not repair list for warranty purposes.

I just checked my pile of scrapped Fenders, none had the DSP.
          Right about the code stopping....brain fart. I have digital experience, I should know better.

The DSP board is not only effects, but "amp models" as well. So the whole thing goes silent when it dies. I think cleaning the prom pins did the trick tho. Its been running in the cab with a test tone for 2 hrs....and I played through it for about a half hour to try to induce a problem with vibration. Still going. I'll let it go another hour and call it good.

There's only 1 amp preset that sounds even close to good......one of the "british" ones. But I'll give 'em credit....the "hot rod" presets sound just as crappy as a real hot rod deville! Good goin' Fender.....

Comment

Pulling and pushing the socketed ICs goes without saying. 8,000,000 Pac Man boards can't be wrong. Or was it Galaga?
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Heh....yea. Pretty much *all* game boards had socket issues. Especially Atari and their use of gold sockets with tin plate chips. They weren't intended to last 30 years, so they didn't have a reason to be choosy. I used to tarn-x the Midway mask roms 'cause they got so bad. When the pins started breaking off I'd break the rest off and solder it into an Amp dual leaf socket. Good ta go 'till the program gets corrupted.....and as far as I know all mine are still good.

Comment

Those were the days. I have a stack of maybe 20 Pac boards here waiting to cross my bench on a rainy day. Got a gamester locally who is itching to get them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
                  Mighta found the trouble. Had the chassis on the bench and was pushing on the dsp pcb to check for bad solder.....it quit when I got to the prom. Reset it....smacked it again.....quit. Pulled it out of the socket and cleaned off the pins....ran it in/out of the socket a few times....seems stable now. Stay tuned......
                  Hello Gtr_tech,
                  Wish you and your family in good healthy condition.
                  BTW you can call me Roger my nickname. : Basic or have knowledge in pedal making, mod and repair BUT never had experience in Amplifier repair.
                  I know that this your original started thread way back then.. Not to Necro it by the way. It so happen I also own the same exact FM65DSP.
                  First I have to tell you what happened before before the issue and the problem

I was trying to supra an adlib part of a song so I put my mp3 on the AUX no knowing the MP3 volume was MAXED. Then I Plug one end of the cable (without the plugging the end to my guitar) to be avail to hear the MP3 "BOOM it was so loud so I lowered the MP3 to the exact enough for me to begin practicing the adlib. The issue now is the Guitar Input has no volume even touching the just the end cable its silent. I do have several cable tried as well my second electric guitar to no avail. Sorry for the long read

I opened up the amp done some checking the 5Vref is good the amplifier stage is working on the PCBoard has reading some ware 2v others had too it has also 14 volt.
                  I don't have knowledge on DSP.... What do you meant by " when I got to the prom. Reset it....smacked it again?

Thanks in advance hope you can guide me on this. I already pulled of the DSP card. Is the white square is the PROM? Can it be reset? is there a reset botton?

Cheers,
                  Roger

Comment

Hi guys.
                    Same problem with a Fender FM65 DSP. Do they sell these cards on ebay? If so, how do I search for them?

Comment

Hi Guys.
                      Does anyone know how to search for these DSP on ebay? Are they specific to each amp or is it a "one size fits all" thingy?

Comment

You could try calling Fender.

Comment

Working...
                        X