Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kay model 606 tube amp help needed

Hi,

Picked up the above mentioned amp a bit over a week ago. Ordered new caps and have got the caps installed. Had to do a bit of wiring fixing, 3 wire power cord and new speaker wire.

Problem: I turn on the amp, let it warm up, flip it off standby and whoa!! Huge loud static pop/crackling not hum or hiss but pop, pop, pop, crackle, crackle, crackle...

Have swapped out all tubes and checked wiring. Went from two wire power cord with a death cap to a grounded 3 wire power cord. Grounded the green wire to one of the PT bolts.

Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks

SO does it do it with the tubes removed?

Selectively remove preamp tubes to isolate the source of the noise.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I will do this in the AM.

It is quite intermitent but it can't go long without doing it. Sometimes maybe up to 2 minutes. The amp sounds great whilst not cracklin and poppin.

Is this likely a preamp tube or tube socket issue?

Thanks

Comment

I have no idea, that is why we are trying to localize the problem.

The very essence of troubleshooting is to isolate the problem, and narrow it down further and further until you are down to the point where the problem lies. That is very different from thinking up things it might be then checking them to see.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Absolutely +1 with Enzo.

I will say though that since the amp seems to be working and sounding good in between "fits" that it is very likely dirty tube sockets or tube pins. I've seen it many times before and this sure sounds like the problem. Hopefully just a coincidence that you were working on the amp right before it happened.

Chuck
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hey thanks for the ideas and help guys. It turns out it was the preamp sockets were dirty. Tube swaps didn't help and it did kinda sound like tube connection kinda noises. I just worked an old microphonic EL84 in and out with contact cleaner. Noises have gone away.
            Again thanks for responding and giving me a place to begin its appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X