Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newer tube/SS amps - any techs not wanting to fix them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    Valvetronix are spawn of satan.
    I wholeheartedly agree. And what about that amazing one year warranty? Even the manufacturer barely backs them up.

Comment

The Valvetronix series is the Vox DSP/Modelling/kitchen sink monstrosity. Got all the bells and whistles like tap tempo. If you think a PV C30 is inconvenient to work on, these things are a nightmare.
      That's the one. Built-in tuner, all sorts of DSP including a tap tempo button. Told the guy last time I fixed it that if it broke again, he'd have to take it to someone else, preferably a Vox factory authorized tech.

Peavey Classic 30? I can fix those!
      -Erik
      Euthymia Electronics
      Alameda, CA USA
      Sanborn Farallon Amplifier

Comment

And you can't get AT anything in it. The computer control crap is sm on the control panel board up under the panel.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well I've been in the repair field all my life (some 56yrs) & I guess I need to chime in, too.

My initial comment would be 'patience grasshopper' and it will all find it's way to you.

My 'ego' days of thinking I have to be able to fix everything or 'I'm no good if I can't' have long since matured into much like what Enzo is expressing.

1. As far as warranty authorized service, most manufacturers these days DON'T want to see their valuable service centers 'dying' on any of their products.

I have had MFG's offer anyting from paying more time to sending any boards I might need, or offering to fix the item at the mfg, to even just exchanging the item. I of course don't take advantage of this unless I'm really stuck. Maturity in the biz helps you know when that is. Also once in a while it behoves you to spend more time than the monetary compensation will ever equal to just learn a product. That knowledge yoiiu gleen becomes invaluable, anyway. After that you become the bloody go to guy & then they become profitable.

That acutally occurred way back in the VCR days with the JVC HR-6700. It was wayy ahead of its time with all kinds of special features that no other VCR had at the time. as a result, it had a billion adjustments, too. For a while, I was the only tech in town who really understood them fundamentally from the time I invested...yada, yada...ANYWAY...

2. As far as the 'cheap practice amps', my philosophy is if I can fix even a cheap little practice amp & even not make as much money on it as the more lucrative stuff, I feel I'm still wayyyy ahead just from the PR that ensues.

I've had folks tell me how other shops just treated them like they wasted their hard earned cash on a 'cheap piece of crap'...better known here as a 'CPOC'. As Enzo expressed, now I have a cust who is going to bring me their higher quality amps when their kid advances to the point of needing/desiring a bigger amp. I've seen it happen over & over again.

Also, seasoned musician's will 'test' out your shop sometimes with a one of their cheaper 'expendable' amps, just to see how you do.

I've had guys be fairly 'quiet' with me until I give them a reasonable estimate, treat them respecfully, & they come to get the final product....THEN, I get to hear about all their vintage gear that they really need fixed & how they will be bringing those items in now that they're satisfied with the treatment & service as well as grabbing a handful of my cards to spread around. This happens over & over again.

3. I don't feel like I have to repair every type or model of product out there, BUT I do need to keep in mind that everyone I speak to on the phone & over the counter is a potential source of free advertising.

Because of all this...I, like Enzo, don't have the need to pay hundreds of dollars for an ad in the Yellow Pages. The warranty authorizations handle about 50% of that for free & cover the entire US...then there's my website, Craig's list, and word of mouth...almost in reverse order. Word of mouth...invaluable.

Now that said, I have decided to unilaterally not work on Behringer products. My decision is not one of just profitability, but one of reliability. I don't like doing that but these amps IMHO were made with the express intention of profit & what you see is the result of that. I am however glad that there are folks that can make a go of it with that product so I'm not the only source.

Other than that, I work on just about everything. My 2 cents...glen

Comment

Oh there is a lot of stuff I don;t like, but that doesn't mean I can;t fix it or provide insight to someone trying to fix one.

I called the Marshall guy at Korg in New York once to ask if I was missing something when Mode 4 amps keep blowing up. he told me: No, that's just the way they are. That's why they quit making them.

The Valvetronix series is the Vox DSP/Modelling/kitchen sink monstrosity. Got all the bells and whistles like tap tempo. If you think a PV C30 is inconvenient to work on, these things are a nightmare.
            My buddy has one and I'm dreading the day that it breaks because I know he'll ask me to help him fix it. Good thing he's an EE and I can make him do all the hard work.
            KB

Comment

Tube, SS, digital, hybrid....bring 'em on!!! It's all green to us!

Seriously, with all of our authorizations, we cannot be picky and choosy about the technology we care to work on, and we are lucky to be armed with a small array of techs, including myself, who can collectively handle anything.

Rhodes, Wurli..... we'll take 'em! Besides, these are high service-dollar items, because they often require lots of time and/or overhauls. Sure it gets crowded, but here in NYC, you need to maximize the use of shop space in order to make the monthly nut, which is in excess of $25K, including payroll, insurances, rent, utilities, etc.

There ARE certain things we will not repair. First and foremost are all of the swappable-in-warranty goods, which is ever-increasing. Some days, we are more like a depot than a service center, but it is what it is. We will also tell customers when a unit is going to cost more than it's replacement cost. Sometimes they will still want it repaired. Other things include units for which parts are not available, some vintage or legacy products here and there and certain speaker drivers that are not worth reconing, regardless of their "apparent" vintage value.

There are also occasions when I will deem it more cost-effective to return the unit to a manufacturer for repairs and later tack on the profit. When you've got something totally unfamiliar, or is kicking your ass, this is often the best bet. We do not proclaim to be able to fix everything, but we do our best, even if it means calling in a second line of defense.

I believe that the answer to this thread will vary with shop size, location, and business M.O. For us, we are a large service center with a huge clientele base in a a major U.S. city, and we have too many people relying on us, plus we need to maximize cash flow. That means work, work and more work. In addition, turning away a single unit can turn away the client.
              John R. Frondelli
              dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Working...
              X