Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Microbass

Hi All,

Have friend's Peavey Microbass Amp. 20watt 8inch speaker.
    The electronics are good. The amp works fine with another speaker
    temporarily wired in.
    The speaker reads open with an ohm meter. Can't get to the
    speaker to check if it's a broken wire, connector or an open in the voice
    coil because there is no obvious way to disassemble the cabinet.
    It seems to be a sealed enclosure. Don't think they would just
    assemble and glue it closed with no way for service.
    Don't want to damage the cabinet trying to open it.
    Anyone have any experience with this amp?

Any info much appreciated
    Mike
    a sign on the desk of Suzanne Schroeder, collector of bureaucratic gobbledygook, AP wire story, Sarasota Herald-Tribune, July 3, 1973
    “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

I don;t recall that amp specifically, but either the rear opens or the speaker comes out the front. LOok through the grille cloth, can you see the speaker mounting screws?

Most Peavey amps the grille pops off, and the speaker is right there. FOur screws and it comes right out.

Does this have the aluminum strips down the sides of the grille? The grille is usually held on by a super industrial velcro sort of deal. Get behind an upper corner of hte grille with a screwdriver and pry outwaqrds. Once it pops free, the other side should come easier, then lean it outwards and fre the bottom.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo,

Thanks for the info. The amp has metal strips across the top and bottom.
      The top one is "U" shaped over the baffle and grille.
      It has the labels for input, volume, tone, etc.
      It looks as though I might be able pry it it up without damage.
      If so, the grill would probably come off as you described.

Will give it a try and report back.

Mike
      a sign on the desk of Suzanne Schroeder, collector of bureaucratic gobbledygook, AP wire story, Sarasota Herald-Tribune, July 3, 1973
      “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Comment

Try removing the amp chassis first. See if that makes grille removal more apparent.

Are there screws on the side panels that might hold the grille and baffle in place?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I had removed the chassis. The "U"metal strip across the upper grill
          concealed the velcro. Hid it really well.
          Did as you suggested and the grill came right off.
          Checked and the voice coil is open.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

This forum and the people on it has to be one of,
          if not the best on the net.

Mike

Comment

Peavey will be happy to sell you a new speaker of the exact type directly.

Comment

Working...
            X