Can Cap replacements for Traynor YGL-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Cap replacements for Traynor YGL-3

I just picked up a Traynor YGL-3 Guitar Mate and I want to give it a cap job. It has 2 Mallory FP style 40/40 450V caps. I can find any direct replacements. There's some twist lock style 40/20/20 500V at Antique Electronics. My first question would be, would it be OK to use those, taking each of the 20uf sections and running them in parallel to get my 40uf needed? Second, at $30 each, that makes my cap job cost $60 in parts alone. What about using some of those JJ LDR style caps? I don't see a 40/40 but there is a 50/50. Is that too much of a difference to be a good idea?

i would bet the 50/50 would work fine. or you can get the JJ 32/32 and parallel a Sprague 8uF cap to each section and you'll have your 40

The JJ 32/32's are $9 each x 2 = $18
    The Sprague 8uF's are $3 each x 4 = $12
    $30 total plus shipping

Or the 2 x 50/50 JJ's are $9 each = $18 plus shipping

Comment

Back in "the day" most can caps had a +/- of 20%. Many still do. So a 50/50 cap would be real close to spec. anyway. I don't think you'll hear a difference with the 50/50 cap.

Chuck
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

thanks. i guess i'll try the JJ caps. certainly the easiest solution and as long is it doesn't make all my voltages 25% higher all around the amp, i guess i should be fine.

Comment

Working...
        X