Transformer testing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformer testing?

Being a 'newbie', can anyone out there educate me as how to test a transformer in a 'simple' manner? Which and what all those wires do (and go to, etc.), voltages, etc. How I would know which is bad, etc. Is there a link that explains all this?? I only have a good DMM to use at this point.

ANY help is greatly appreciated!
    The only true constant in the universe, is change itself

Welcome to the forum. To help you out a little better, what kind of transformer at you interested in testing, is it a power transformer or an output transformer? Either type is tested using different techniques and for different reasons. From your post I think you're interested in testing a power transformer, but I'm not sure.
    -Mike

Comment

Thank you for the reply

Hi!

Thank you for the prompt reply!

I would like to learn how to test both the power & output. I've 'googled' and can not find any helpful information about this. I really want to learn! Love this 'stuff'. I only have a Fluke DMM to test with at the moment, as a scope is just way too expensive for me right now.

Your help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Chris
      The only true constant in the universe, is change itself

Comment

There are various tests involved. You can verify continuity through the windings with your meter. You can verify that no winding is shorted to another. You can verify that no winding is shorted to the frame of the transformer. All that with an ohm meter.

Our friend RG Keen has a great web site, and if you look around over there, he has a method for testing transformers for shorted turns - which you can't check with an ohm meter directly.

New Page 1
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X