Peavey TNT 100 Problem/ Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey TNT 100 Problem/ Questions

I have a Peavey TNT 100 amp that I recieved as a gift. It worked fine for about a week.
    I noticed that the sound would be very faint. I would have to turn it up all the way to hear anything. Sometimes turning the volume knob up and down it would kick in and scare everyone in the house.

Now its at the point where jiggling the knob wont fix it. The sound is still very faint.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Im thinking it could be some bad wiring or circuts. ( I am not too good with electronics)
    Also does anyone know how to remove the chassis from the cab? I have removed the screws but it still seems like there is something holding it in. I dont wanna rip it out and risk breaking more stuff.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If yours has the Line Out jack on the front, or possibly an Insert jack there, I bet it is dirty. The cutout contact in that jack is not letting the signal past.

There are the four main bolts through the top - and probably the two metal straps the bolts go through. And some of them have several wood screws along the rear edge into the wood. Once those are out, the whole chassis should slide out the rear. Come out some, then look up under there, because you wuill have to unplug the wires that feed down to the speaker before it comes all the way out.

The chassis might hang up in the front on top of the grille - support the front up so it clears.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

This amp has the 2 inputs in the front,
      Here is the Owners Manual from Peavey

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literat...als/tnt100.pdf

Comment

I was able to get the chassis out.
        Now the line out jack. Do you mean the jack where the speaker connection goes to?
        If so, how would I clean this part. What should I use to clean it with?
        I unplugged it to get the chassis all the way out. I was kind of surprised to see a 1/4 connection.

THanks

Comment

Oh, you have the 1974 version, and I was looking at the 1979 version. Yours doesn;t have a line out jack. In any case, a line out jack would be labelled "line out."

I don't remember a 1/4" speaker out on that either. Oh well.

One could swab out that jack with a Qtip and contact cleaner or even alcohol.

I suggest connecting the internal speaker to some other amp to see if it works OK. Likewise I would connect some other speaker to the output of the amp to make sure THAT worked OK.

I would also inspect the solder under all the controls as well as the jacks and their connections. I would carefully check the small transformer on the circuit board to make sure one of its tiny wires had not broken off.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I cleaned both input jacks and the speaker jack.
            I inspected the board and solder points. Everything looks fine, i dont see anything out of place.
            Still get the same problem. I am starting to think that there is not enough power or something. Could it be the power supply that could be bad?
            The bulb lights up and the amp makes a sound like its getting enough power. I am just at a stand still with this thing. Plus it probolly doesnt help that I dont have the necessary tools to check for certain problems.

Comment

Something in your sognal path is breaking down - could be a bad part, could be a lost connection. hard to say without looking.

Comment

Working...
              X