Best 30-40W tube design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 30-40W tube design?

Anybody care to comment on which 30-40W tube amplifier design has the best all around sound and reliability. Fender Deluxe Reverb? Any others?

Many ways to make 20-30 watts; I take it you don't think Dimebag Death Tone is best eh?

Fender sounds most like Fender...a few more specifics about what you like would help!

Comment

Looking for more of a cleaner sound like the old Fenders but I am also open to other designs. I'm much more familar with solidstate design than tube.

I assume that the most designs start out stable, clean, with good headroom and add whatever (gain stages, not much NF in most tubes designs I've seen, etc) to get more overdrive?

What do people think of the VM series from Fender?

Comment

People are a bit mixed, but the Fender Deluxe VM has some love on HC, the clean pre is SS and the drive channel has a ton of gain into the tube PA. Almost no one is comparing it to a vintage Fender; they are quite different, way cheaper but much more difficult to clone, being a PCB/SS/tube and digital amp. If I wanted one, I'd buy one.

As to clean tone, people love the Matchless, and various older Fenders, and of course VOX; all these are pretty straight forward builds and well documented online.

AX84.com (and here!) are excellent sites for you to learn tube builds, search "ontariomaximus" on youtube for an example of a versatile EL84 build from one of their members

Comment

I vote for the Marshall JTM45 and its clones.
          Big, bold tone with some vintage vibe and serious balls if required
          I can fix everything, where is the duct tape?

Comment

Originally posted by gbono View Post
            Anybody care to comment on which 30-40W tube amplifier design has the best all around sound and reliability. Fender Deluxe Reverb? Any others?
            Well, since you state Fender as an example I'd go for the 6G11 Vibrolux (1960 to 1963). Later breakup than a BFDR and earlier than a BF Twin or similar, just right with it's 35 watts.
            Have a look on the net for ToneQuest reports. They have some nice articles about the brown Vibrolux.
            I've built one myself and let a guy from the music store play it. He asked me to build one for him. What more to say?

Comment

Working...
            X