HIWATT Amp Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIWATT Amp Problem

Hoping someone can help me. I recently purchased a 50 watt Hiwatt Head, and within a day I blew the fuses. The fuses we changed and the amp was fine...for another day. In the middle of playing, the amp just cut off. I wondered if I could have possibly blown the fuses again. I switched them out with two new ones, and nothing. Other than the Led light on the front coming on, nothing happens. Any thoughts? Before I take it to a tech, I thought someone here might have a suggestion on what it could be.

It's difficult to guess without a model number. If it's a tube amp, it's probably a bad output tube(s) drawing too much current and blowing the fuse. I see the DR504, SA112, SA115 and SA212 all used a pair of EL34s in the output. You can try putting in a new set of output tubes and see if that helps.

Replacing the fuse won't help until you solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by techineer View Post
      It's difficult to guess without a model number. If it's a tube amp, it's probably a bad output tube(s) drawing too much current and blowing the fuse. I see the DR504, SA112, SA115 and SA212 all used a pair of EL34s in the output. You can try putting in a new set of output tubes and see if that helps.

Replacing the fuse won't help until you solve the problem.
      It could be that someone slapped a set of tubes in it without checking the bias, and they're running too hot. Bias needs to be checked when replacing output tubes.

Comment

The diagrams that I have found don't show any adjustment for bias. That's why I didn't mention it.

http://www.hiwatt.com/data/tech_info.html

Comment

It's set by changing the dropping resistor in the bias supply (on amps without an adjustment for it).

Comment

Working...
          X