No announcement yet.

No more Ampeg/Crate Schematics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least FMIC put in all their archival files. SLM only put in the files for that year's current production.

I wish PV would PLEASE put their schems on CD's, my PV schematic pile goes on forever.

Ken
    www.angeltone.com

Comment

My PV binders fill one 27" shelf. That doesn't include the Media Matrix or Architectural Electronics files. They never come up, so they are boxed out in the warehouse. There was a time PV sold a "set" of drawings. I had a pretty good collection, but when I became a service center on my own in the early 90s, they sent me a pile in a couple boxes. I think that was the set.

But these days, they have all the schemos on their b2b site, so you can download anything you want. Try to get connected to PV. Even without that 24/7 access, they will send you any schemo you ask for by email. I have a lot of common ones on the hard drive, and often I download one rather than look it up in the binders.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I bought that set of PV service info many years ago. It came a a big pile and I sprent a lot of time tryiong to organize it so I could find a particular schematic when I needed it. I never did finish that task. I think that high resolution computer files with a numbering scheme that makes sense will be the best system.

Is the b2b site you mentioned available to anyone or just aproved service centers?

Comment

Business to business. The site is accessible only to service centers and dealers. Or to people who know a service center...

My PV files are all in order, though I broke them down. I keep three sets of files: models with names, models with letters, models with numbers. Rockmaster or Classic are names, XR600 is a letter, and the number only ones tend largely to be power amps, for example 400GH or 302SC. If you work on PV much you understand the power amp is a separate issue.

I suppose I could have mixed the names and letters together, but I like this way fine. Once in while I have to check the inventory listing to remember if "Mark" - as in Mk III - is a word or letters. Hey no system is perfect...
          Last edited by Enzo; 01-19-2007, 10:08 PM.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I have a special file called the Worst Of Peavey... it's the top 40 amps that fail
            so I have them all to hand. Things like Mace/Deuce, 400series power amps, CS800, things like that all go here.

I'm sending the rest to my warehouse too.

Ken
            www.angeltone.com

Comment

I don't find that CS800s fail more often than anything else, but there are so many thousands and thousands of them out there, you run into them more often. And since PV made up gead amps by combining a preamp panel on the front and a power amp on the back, I don't find it odd at all that 400 series power amps are your most common PV repair - they are the most common PV power amps.

I recall a time some years back where someone looked around my shop and said, "I see you have three Fenders in here and only one Vox Cambridge 30, so the Fenders must not be very reliable, eh?" No, wrong. Of the four the music store across the street got in, ALL four Vox amps needed repair out of the box. The Fenders were in for damage repair.

Comment

Working...
              X