crackling sound in tube amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crackling sound in tube amp

I have an older Peavey dual 212 all tube classic. The amp has developed a crackling sound. The sound is on standby or full on, high volume or with volume turned all of the way down. There seems to be no difference by turning any of the other pots. Did a complete re-tube a few years ago, but not alot of playing since, along with a change to Eminence Govenor speakers. After the amp heats up the crackling goes away but sometimes it come back and then goes away again. I get no unusual sound from taping the tubes either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Isolate the problem.

PLug something into the FX return jack to disconnect the preamp signal. Does the crackle remain? If so , it is in the power amp, if not it was in the preamp.

Put a different set of power tubes in it and see if it makes a difference. Take a known good 12AX7 and sub it in each socket down the row of small tubes. ANy spot make a difference?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Crackling sound in tube amp

Thanks Enzo, I will try this tonight, if it is crackling.............sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't will let you know................

Comment

If it doesn't act up, turn the reverb off, ball up your fist, and whack the top of the amp hard. Does the amp react in any way? it should not react. if it does - makes noises, starts to crackle, whatever - then there is a loose connection either on the boards or inside a tube. WHacking can either start a symptom or make it stop, but either way, if the amp reacts, something is loose. if you want to be official, use a rubber mallet, but the fist god gave me works just as well. Of course it sould be totally an electronic problem.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X