Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boogie Mark I reissue intermittent

Hey all,
    This amp is cutting out while being played. When it cuts out there is NO sound or hum or anything. I investigated the speaker jack and it seemed that I could get it to cut out by jiggling the speaker cable. So I replaced the speaker jack and the problem persists. I then tried another speaker cable and speaker and it still happens. I also thought it may be the plug on the amps speaker cable so I replaced that w/ a new one. Problem's still there. I've poked around the amp thoroughly w/ a chop stick moving things around w/ no cutting out. It only cuts out when I toy w/ the speaker jack. I've tested grounds on the speaker jack w/ a meter and can't find any issues there. I even cleaned out the fx send/return jacks, though I didn't find that they had any impact on the issue. I'm stumped on this one. It even seems as if I alligator clip the "hot" of the speaker plug to the jack's "hot" while it is plugged in that it fixes the issue... I'm pondering try ANOTHER jack but feel maybe I'm being fooled somehow.

Sure sounds like a jack to me. Especially after the clip wire.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok so ANOTHER new jack and problem persists... yet alligator clip fixes it still. wow I'm boggled. Anyone dealt w/ this before? Could there be some OT issue?

Comment

found it! The speaker.... the internal speaker wires from the terminals to the cone. One of them is intermittent, thus when I alligator clip it must've made just enough of a teeny crackle that it make the cone move and reconnected the wiring, then if I touched that wire w/ my hand I could get it to cut in and out... phew. Hope this saves someone else some time.

Comment

We call that the "tinsel wire."
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

tinsel wire... makes me wanna watch Die Hard.

Comment

Working...
            X