Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pot for Fender Blues Deluxe?

Hey everyone...great forum!!!

I recently was at a garage sale and spotted a really clean original (not reissue) tweed fender blues deluxe amp...and the best part is....got it for 40 bucks!

Amp sounds AMAZING, but was pretty grungy around the knobs, so I popped a couple of knobs off to clean under them a little better. Well, I didn't loosen the little screw enough that holds the knob on to the master pot, and when I pulled up, the shaft came up out of the pot a little and now just spins freely...the amp still works and sounds great, but I am unable to change master volume. I called a repair place and they said I could try to gently tap it back into place, and if that doesn't work, I will need to have the pot replaced and will run about $100 and take a month. Is a pot replacement something that I should try? I am very comfortable soldering...I would just need to know wxactly what type of pot to get. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Originally posted by joefender8089 View Post
    Hey everyone...great forum!!!

I called a repair place and they said I could try to gently tap it back into place, and if that doesn't work, I will need to have the pot replaced and will run about $100 and take a month.

I'm not surprised they want $100 if it takes them that long to replace a pot!

Pretty easy repair and you should be able to tackle it yourself. Just be careful and make sure the caps are discharged before you get your hands inside.

Remove the pot (Noting which wire goes where) and source a replacement. I'm not in the USA so I can't help you with a supplier other than to say I see mouser and digikey mentioned a lot on this forum. Off the top of my head I would say it's a B 1 MEG pot, but It should be marked with the value.

Dave.

Comment

Try Mojo Musical Supply » Vintage Musical Supply Parts for Amplifiers & Guitars for a replacement pot.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I will give it a try. A couple of the other knobs are making some crackling noises when I turn them, which I have heard can be fixed by using a product called Deoxit. I got the G5 Deoxit but then heard that maybe I should have gotten the D5? Anyone familiar with this? Will the G5 be OK for the volume pots?

Comment

Originally posted by joefender8089 View Post
          Thanks for the info! I will give it a try. A couple of the other knobs are making some crackling noises when I turn them, which I have heard can be fixed by using a product called Deoxit. I got the G5 Deoxit but then heard that maybe I should have gotten the D5? Anyone familiar with this? Will the G5 be OK for the volume pots?
          These are sounding almost as lousy as the ones on my Kitty Hawk M5. They were made by a Spanish outfit called Piher, they're still in business selling the same old garbage, but I succeeded in replacing most of them with Alphas from Mouser.

Comment

If you're in there to replace the volume pot, I'd just replace all of the scratchy ones instead of just spraying some cleaner in them. Save yourself having to tear it down again later. IMHO

Comment

Working...
            X