Peavey Renown , howling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Renown , howling

Hi Guys, in my workshop I use a Peavey Renown as a bench amp , its loud , instant , has a 15" for bass, is reliable........but lately it has started making a hollow howling noise , like howling through a cardboard tube! Today I opened her up and of course it behaved, I went around bopping everything but nothing until I put it back in the cabinet, and it howled again!only intermittently. Has anyony seen this before ? it's a wierd one....BTW incase youre wondering , I am called Luthin You because I am a luthier, and it was a soul song when I was a kid.

Does turning the reverb down or off help?

Also, when it does it, ball up your fist and whack the top of the amp hard. If the amp reacts in any way, there is a loose connection somewhere inside.

Do ANY controls have ANY effect on this noise?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Full moon tonight?
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Well 10 years went by , and now i remembered to reply . This howling noise was caused by a dry solder joint on the Paramid gain pot , so the parametric boost went full tilt at the frequency selected on the Shift pot , weirdest noise ever !!

Comment

Originally posted by Luthin You View Post
          Well 10 years went by , and now i remembered to reply . This howling noise was caused by a dry solder joint on the Paramid gain pot , so the parametric boost went full tilt at the frequency selected on the Shift pot , weirdest noise ever !!
          I've had similar problems with paramid EQ's on Peaveys, when the resistive track inside the pot gets flakey & falls off in pieces. At this late date it's now an epidemic, and the replacement pots available from Peavey have the same problem, who would have guessed? I managed to fix a couple by transplanting the track from another pot. What a hassle.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
          X