Soldering question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering question

Rarely have this problem but what causes solder to "pop" causing holes or nasty unacceptable joints. I am using Kester 60/40 solder with a soldering station set at no more than 575. Could flux, contamination, or temperature be causing this?

The mackie 24.8 mixer is doing this to me. Even factory solder has holes in it.

Usually pockets of flux boiling out through the molten solder.

I usually solder at 700.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I have also had this happen. However, it is rare.
      Usually happens when soldering a closed in contact like an XLR connector pin or one of the vintage style RCA plug center pins. I have always attributed it to trapped air expanding under the solder.
      Once & a while I get a little crackle from the flux heating. I usually use 800 Degree F tips except for PCBs and very small joints.
      Tom

Comment

I always heard 600 is the best temp and yes it does depend on the size of the joint. Don't want to push soldering any hotter because the mixer has small pads and using thin solder.

Have played with the temp and found a sweet spot.

Comment

One last item,
          If you are resoldering connections where there originally was silver solder, you can experience similar issues.
          If so, you really need to remove as much of the silver solder & resolder the connection. glen

Comment

just a note on soldering iron temp.
            at work i solder very fine pitch surface mount ic's(very tiny pins on very tiny pads) and i always have my iron between 675-700 degrees. if your tip isnt hot enough, you'll wind up having to leave your iron on the component or pad longer than you should. quick on-quick off. you can only do that with a properly heated tip.

clean your contacts with alcohol before you solder, and clean your tip often during soldering. cleanliness counts. alot.
            buy a new roll of solder if the one your using is wierding you out. they're like 5 bucks at radio shack or where ever. you can also buy some liquid flux to help the solder flow better. that stuff is great for pesky joints that wont take a good solder.

Comment

Working...
            X