Marshall JCM 900 4100 Fading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM 900 4100 Fading

Our 4100 started fading while we were playing the other night - the volume would drop unexpectedly to a fraction of normal and it wouldn't recover. We'd switch the standby off and wait half a minute and then it would be OK for a few minutes and then fade again and be very soft.

Is this a common problem with tube amps? Should we just replace all tubes or do we need a proper service. We have technical expertise in electronics but it's hard to fix a problem which is sporadic and you can't reproduce it in the lab...

Since you describe the sound as "fading", I would suspect a faulty heater connection somewhere. Is this "common"? Well, with respect to connections being faulty in general, my pro-opinion would be yes (especially with respect to P.C. board connections). With respect to "heater" connections specifically (which, BTW are not P.C. board connections in this case), I would say not as much.......It's very typical to want to replace tubes first off, but I'd say it's more likely that re soldering will be needed somewhere.
    Mac/Amps
    "preserving the classics"
    Chicago, Il., USA
    (773) 283-1217
    (cell) (847) 772-2979
    Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
    www.mac4amps.com

Comment

Dity effects loop jacks would be my first guess. Power tubes would be my second guess.
      Jerry
      FJA Mods
      FJA YouTube
      FJA Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP View Post
        Dity effects loop jacks would be my first guess. Power tubes would be my second guess.
        Jerry
        Do you mean the Send/Receive out/in jacks?

Comment

Originally posted by cawoodm View Post
          Do you mean the Send/Receive out/in jacks?
          Yes, they can cause a break in the signal path if they are dirty. You can plug a jumper cable in the loop to rule out the jacks. A quick shot of contact cleaner and plugging a cable in and out a few times usually cleans them up if they are the problem.
          Jerry
          FJA Mods
          FJA YouTube
          FJA Facebook

Comment

Working...
          X