amp advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp advice

I would like to buy a combo amp that is a 2 channel switching amp that has a nice clean sound, and a lead channel that is close to the marshall plexi sound. something not to gainy, and has a lot of clarity. Any good suggestions?

you've just described most amps on the market

seriousy though, it all depends on your budget - Rivera spring to mind as do Bogner. There are some great smaller builders such as Voodoo, Aiken & Zwengel who have been (still are?) forum regulars here at Ampage.

HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

amp

I have around a 1000 to spend, no more than 1500.

Comment

I would also check out the Komet Constellation that Mike K. and Hogy build. Beautiful cleans and a very Plexi,Trainwreck clarity type amp and also forumites too. http://www.kometamps.com R.I.P. Ken Fischer you were a great amp builder and were going to miss you.
        KB

Comment

You can get Mesa combos all day long on ebay within your price range.

There's a VHT Pitbull combo on there right now too... http://cgi.ebay.com/VHT-Pitbull-Clas...QQcmdZViewItem

HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

I'd be real cautious about ebay amps. Most of them wind up in my shop. Get a new one and the warranty that comes with it ! Just my $.002
            KB

Comment

I'd have to say that new amps, unless you're spending $2K or more, aren't worth the bucks these days. Most all non-"botique" amps I see in my shop cost alot more than they're worth if you buy them brand new. And the warranties that cover them aren't at all what they're hyped up to be (believe me, I used to do warranty work for most all of the major companies during the 70's & 80's). If you can find a half decent deal on something that fits your playing style, that's just a couple of years old (even if it needs some minor repair/maintenance), I think you'll STILL come out ahead of buying anything brand new these days. New stuff just costs too damn much (even junk).....it's alot like the present day auto market.
              Mac/Amps
              "preserving the classics"
              Chicago, Il., USA
              (773) 283-1217
              (cell) (847) 772-2979
              Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
              www.mac4amps.com

Comment

You are right about most of that mac1 but there's a fine line there depending on how old of a new amp you get and what kind. The Peavey JSX and XXX amps are damn nice and Peavey has better warranty service & customer service than anybody. Carvin has pretty decent amps and warranty service. Certainly the new amps are not what the older amps were but all of the good amps made back then are ready for either a cap job or have connection issues or other intermittent problems which is why they are getting rid of them in the first place. Your going to pay anywhere from 2 to 3 grand for a blackface in somewhat decent shape and it will most likely need additional work. If I'm going to do that I'll get a Mission amp that I know is right and has nice part's and give Bruce the bussiness. Depends on which sound you want but I'd stay away from Marshall's, Ampegs, and Fenders in the new section. But I'd also be real cautious of ebay and certain older amps but agree the right older one would most likely be a better amp than new however, I don't think you'll get any warranty with that deal and it could come back and bite you. I also agree that warranty is a huge pain in the ass tstl and I may cut it out alltogether soon.
                KB

Comment

I,ve had boogies, (rectifiers, marks, nomad ) and many marshalls. I had a bogner shiva, and that was the best amp I have ever heard. should have never sold it. But I did, now I want to get something else that is not as pricey, and something that replicates the old plexi sound. Not some mushy metal amp like a rectifier.

Comment

The warranty on my Mesa is just fine, electronics are covered for five years.

Comment

yep, Rectos do metal well but theres nothing stopping you from you from dialing back the gain - they're fairly Marshally in my experience, especially the newer three channel ones.

I think you'd do well to beat Rivera in the price range you're looking at.

HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Working...
                      X