Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

princeton: polarity switch modded for standby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• princeton: polarity switch modded for standby?

Yesterday I unhooked the polarity switch on my '66 princeton reverb and rewired it for a standby switch. (Yes the amp has a three prong cord) I'm wondering if this switch is ok for this position.

After reading antique electronics catalog it looks like the polarity switch replacement isn't rated for as many amperes as the real standby switches. Is this ok? Last night I rehearsed with it and the amp seemed hot when I turned it off.

1. I'm wanting to know if the original blackface polarity switch is rated high enough to use it as a standby switch.

2. The amp and PT were pretty hot. Honestly it might always be running this hot. I'm not sure. Just wondering if an underrated switch might cause heat in the PT?

3. I put the switch between the rectifier tube and the can cap. Is this a problem?

Try this. Look at the current ratings for the switch. Now consider how much current runs through the B+ circuit.

Toggle switches are rated at something like 5-10-15 amps. The high voltage circuits in our amps are rated in milliamps.

Switches also have a voltage rating. But you just are not going to find switches rated for 400-500 volts. But magically, we can ignore this, adn use those 250v rated switches in the B+ line anyway. If it has worked for the last 50 years in Fender amps, I think it will continue to do so.

Your switch is not causing any problems or altering the performance of the amp.

I wonder why it even needs a standby switch, but that is some philosophy for another time.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
      X