Best High Current Connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockin roy View Post
    I've seen AC twist lock plugs used on speakers.
    Yes, Clair Bros. (formerly ShowCo.) uses them on their 2-18" sub woofer cabinets. I also see them for backstage paging speakers in broadway setups.

Comment

The problem with using an AC plug for a speaker is pretty obvious. I think there may be a way to make it safer. Don't use a plug and socket that is currently NEMA authorized. The ones I saw used were from before the 70's. They are hard to find now and consequently unlikely to get plugged into a live line. The positive side is they provide strain relief, a very positive connection, and handle enough power to drive a bank of speakers.

Comment

Well, some big PA bass bins can probably stand being plugged into 120V for a few seconds.

Nowadays the recommended twist-lock connector for speakers is the Neutrik Speakon, which is a good high-current connector, and fairly cheap.

I have heard tales of an electrician using 3-pin XLRs to supply 240V mains to light fixtures in a TV studio. With pin 1 hot. They got mixed up with mic cables, someone got blown halfway across the room, and luckily the electrician got sacked.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          Nowadays the recommended twist-lock connector for speakers is the Neutrik Speakon, which is a good high-current connector, and fairly cheap.
          NL4 or NL8 Neutrik connectors are great. Good wide surface area connection. The big rigs like JBL vertec , D&B , EAW, EV etc... use them. Much better connection than the crappy 1/4" connectors most consumer gear uses. I was shockd the 1st time i saw a clair (showco ) rig that had those 2 conductor twistlocks attached to them. Since nothing else in their rig except speaker outputs will mount to them, no chance of miss connection.

Here is another one-- does anyone on here know what a socapex connector is? It's a standard 19 pin high current lighting connector used in concert lighting rigs. You typically get 6 complete circuits plus an extra ground pin. Many major sound companies are using socapex for multipin speaker connections. Obviously if you accidentally had a bundle of cables and a stage hand miss runs a speaker line to the dimmer rack then grab the marshmallows.

Comment

I've seen the connector postenix was talking about used on deep cycle batteries. Very positive connection and high current. I believe they are silver plated so they conduct better then copper or gold (even when they are oxidized). Banana plugs don't stop at that little one we have all seen. The same type of connector can be found up to several hundred amps. The Jones plug was the standard plug for years and is still the preferred choice of many ham radio operators. The molex connector is the low end leader nowadays. Every computer has a few to make removing the power supply easy. I just did a fast turn around warranty on a unit in France just to replace an intermittent one. The Nuetrix connector looked familiar. I found them at both Allied and Newarks. They are a German company so I probably saw it an a Rohde and Schwarz or Tektronix piece. No opinion there other then you might as well just use an XLR connector. The lighting connector ?? I just found a link to Amphenol Socapex. Amphenol was best know for their square grey plastic connectors, gold pins, anodized aluminum case. Much larger then a molex and made to be used many times. They were popular with the phone company before micro ribbon connectors (smaller version of the blue ribbon connector). I have also heard them called Cannon connectors. Large frame computers in the 70's started out with them also.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin roy View Post
              The lighting connector ?? I just found a link to Amphenol Socapex.
              Sorry, i meant that as a rhetorical question. Here is a picture of the soco lighting connector..

Comment

No problem. The connector looks similar to a military connector made by Cannon. There is a twist lock series (DTL I think). Same bomb proof construction as the screw on type but with a bayonet connection. You configure the cable so only one cable works with one output. They also come in lots of pin numbers and current. Truth is my garage speakers are hooked up with wire nuts even though any of the above connectors are available for use.

Comment

Working...
                X