No announcement yet.

Mackie SWA1501

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, and my point is, maybe there are just a lot of these killer DJs in New York.

Although I guess it probably is easier to blow one of these Mackies, than an old CS800 or similar dinosaur hooked up to a couple of sub boxes. You might blow the speakers, but the amp would probably survive.

It's traditional to leave short-circuit protection out of powered speakers, on the grounds that the amp can never be shorted because the wiring is hidden inside the box. They probably never thought of the voice coil disintegrating.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

but surely Mackie tested their creation carefully before putting it on the market?
      Oh, but they ARE doing it now !!!!
      Didn't you see the "WARNING !!! Beta Version/Experimental Model" label glued to the cabinet?
      The 2mm by 2mm one, printed with black ink on dark gray paper!!!!
      You should have guessed it, when you saw the low low price charged for them
      Good point is: if they cut short a single DJ's "Trance" or even worse: "Drum'n Bass" all-night marathon, they are doing a good deed.
      I often have to stand many nights like that, living close to a "Cultural Center" that loves "Raves".
      If at least they played a little Rock, Blues, Jazz, even Punk !!!.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Question for Crombie

Just out of curiosity Crombie what are the voltage at R44, R24 & D35 +/- VDC?
        Helping musicians optimize their sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          Yep, and my point is, maybe there are just a lot of these killer DJs in New York.
          Steve, there sure are, and I thank God daily for EVERY single one of them!
          John R. Frondelli
          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Voltages at R44

Hello
            The voltages at
            R44 =14.8 dcv before voltage drop across 2.07 vdc after
            R24 + 14.5 dcv 2.07 after
            D35= 3.1vdc

Comment

Q4 ??

On a sub ive got on the bench Q4 has managed to remove all 3 legs from the case, with mearly only the clamp holding it in working position.
              What im wondering is why with the PCB firmly Bolted in and all plates firmly Clamped has it managed to snap like this when all other Tri/Mos etc legs are fine??

Also could there be anougher fault as the thermal light was flashing whenever it thumped as a result of cab being hit (me testing, as i initially thought it was the vol Pot)

Thanks Joe

Comment

Maybe Q4 exploded and blew its own legs off. Is there a big crater in the plastic package and/or signs of smoke and scorching?

If not it probably just died from vibration.
                "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Q4 MB

The part has a clean break on all 3pins there are no Scorch or arc burns on any of the legs.
                  Also found T14 on the pre Board to have pins 1 + 3 Broken off but was still operational.

Fun Thing is the Company have anougher 2x of these subs in operation so looks like im going to have to give them a full inspection and service to prevent any future failures.
                  As the pre Board also had cracked solder Joints on U1, U2, U3 & U6

Fun Fun Fun

Comment

Hey, this place is getting infested with Scotsmen all of a sudden

Comment

Hey, I am a McCallum, if that counts in your eyes.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, what else did you expect in a posting about a renegade member of the Clan Mac ... Kie ?
                        I'd love to know their Tartan designs.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

It's a good MacHine after all.

I think their patter is a lemon - it's a tartan.

(Oh, you'll get it in a minute.)
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Mackie SWA-1501

Ok, so I have givin up on the amps on these subs, So I took it to the next step,,I pulled the amp, set it aside and installed a speakon connector along with a board so it looks stock. Now its a non powered sub, I love it, sounds so good and yet no problems. When I bought it the speaker was blown, so I put a spare in for now, I would like to recone the mackie speaker. Does anyone know where I can get a recone kit for this speaker? Thx for your time!

Comment

So you took the żeasy? way out.
                              Nothing wrong with that in my book.
                              What I'd do is forget that crazy +/- 140V rails (switched) power amp and its crazy 12 ohm woofer (you already did Part 2) and build an honest-to-God +/-70V (floating) power amp which will give 200W RMS into 8 ohms and 300W RMS into 4 ohms, using the original power transformer and heat sink, the "expensive" components.
                              Don´t even *build* it, just get some kit which has the transistors bolted to an L shaped piece of aluminum which can then be bolted to the heatsink.
                              *Maybe* you should add a PC type fan bolted to the heatsink fins, powered with 12 or 24V stolen from the main PSU. Nothing fancy.
                              Good luck.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Can someone please tell me the value of R26. Thank you in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X